475 Detroit series 60 and rpm,s

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by cat2, Mar 5, 2014.

1. cat2

cat2 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Hi, I am posting this because I would like to get some feedback in regards to running a 475 Detroit Series 60 with a 10 speed transmission. I am not to familar with this engine / transmission combination. Now, lets say your hauling a tanker and your GVW is 100,00 . Whats a good rpm range to keep it under when upshifting? I, am not too familar with heavy loads. I do alot of LTL and TL where my GVW is around 47,000. Also, I am going to be checking out a few tanker companies, and this info could help me out. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    Higher RPM's, all the way up to 1,800 if you have to. Some of these older Detroits the RPM's drop pretty slow, if you want to power shift you have to shift at a lower RPM, but that wont work when you're loaded. My 91 Ford L9000 with an 11.1 Series 60, you have to wait 1-2 seconds to shift if I take it up to 1,700 RPM which is the governed speed.

4. that65

that65 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Lincoln,Ne.
    What a dumb question................

5. cat2

cat2 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Thankyou for answering that for me. Dumb Question? I wanted to know how far you could push a 475 Detroit S eries 60 with a gvw of 100k. The owners manual, I went there also, lists an operateing range of 1500 -2100 . They ,Detroit Diesal do not list specific gvw and where an ideal operateing range is and under what type/wgt loads. Now I Know. Thankyou again.

6. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    It's not a dumb question. He needs to pull his head out of his............. I haul 140,000 and have to drive my rig completely different than a guy with the same truck hauling doritos.

Hauling at 40k you can get away with shifting at 1500 but with that much weight you'll lose too much speed. These engines can take 1800 no problem, if your on a hard pull you can even bring it up to 1900 or so but I try not too.

Remember, no question is a dumb question here. That is what this forum is for. Drivers helping drivers and sometimes super truckers forget that at one point they too used to refer to their fuel tank as a gas tank.

RubyEagle and areelius Thank this.
  7. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    If you go to a Freightliner dealer with your serial number they can give you the chart with the RPM differences between each gear. I believe you can get the information on the eaton site. A ten speed, is a flatlanders, transmission they are useless in the mountains, I am a firm believer in an 18 speed. the max torque and HP of the engine is at 1550, you want to drive below that RPM.
    There is no such thing as a dumb question, there are dumb answers. Anytime someone is acting as if they are perfect, ask them for a pencil, if the eraser has been used, they made a mistake. Time for everyone to look at there pencils, my eraser is used,
    Just a thought!

8. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    i have extensive experience running a detroit 12.7 430/470 2100 rpm engine that pulled all the way up to 2250 routinely.it was a bullet proof set up and seemed to dig the higher rpm's.it certainly ran them for extended periods.i never pulled 100,000 but stayed grossed out.

throttle456 Thanks this.
  9. cat2

cat2 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for all your reply's. I put in a few applications with a few gas hauling outfits in my area. I want to get into that as I see it pays ok. If/when I can get a road test I don,t want to wind her out too high. Guy at one company told me with a full load I could scale out to 100K +/- GVW.

10. snowblind

snowblind Heavy Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    conover nc
    you can run any diesel against the governor forever.wont hurt them

11. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    Yes, 2,100 is fine. Again, depending on your transmission and the gap between the gears and how fast your RPMs will drop, it could be fast or slow. As stated, my 9 speed direct, with 58 MPH at 1,700 RPM in the top gear (8) i have to double clutch or wait 1-2 seconds to shift at a higher RPM. I don't have jakes, but they would be good for jake shifting.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.