475 Detroit series 60 and rpm,s

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by cat2, Mar 5, 2014.

1. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    When you run the engine at high RPM's you produce a lot of heat and burn a lot of fuel, and the engine does not have the torque after 1550.
    The reason you drive is to make money not be a race truck driver, slow and steady and you will have money in your pocket and a truck that will last a long time drive like a ---- and you will have niether.
    We had lots of drivers come in complaining about fuel mileage, and especially with Cat if you sent the RPM print out and it showed any RPM above 1550, except on the Jakes, they would not pay for anything.
    The engine will handle higher RPM, specing the truck for the loads you carry is important, if you spec it wrong you will not make the money.
    Just a thought!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. papamoonshine

papamoonshine Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2013
    theres a 96ish freightshaker where I work with a 425 60 series and I drive it a fair share. its used to haul hay and corn. gross about 56K has a 8LL and I know I've got it out close to 2K some times depending on what was going on. there are a lot of steep hill in some of the fields I really like the motor, IMHO it has good low power and pulls hard when under load and you can run it out when you need it.

4. throttle456

throttle456 Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2019
    I have a classic with 370 gears and a new 10 speed on my 12.7
    It now runs 2000 rpm at 65 mph
    Will this damage my engine?

5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    It won't really hurt it but your fuel mileage will be in the tank. Why did you put a direct transmission in???

You need to put a RTLO 13 OR 18 in your truck. The fuel savings alone will pay for it quickly.

Oxbow and spsauerland Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.