50+ yr old Husb + Wife want to form a team. Advice welcome.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Nortex, Jan 12, 2017.

1. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    There's a lot of good people and good info here.

Trucking was the highest paying work I ever did, and when I was doing it I loved to hate it.

I've been out of it since 2006, and I'm trying to get back in. Go figure.

Enjoy the ride......

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Reason for edit: Clarity
    x1Heavy and doireann Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Know anything about Crum Trucking in Dayton?

4. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Put in an app, guy called back when I was in bed today. Hope to speak with him tomorrow!

x1Heavy and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good luck!
    He called back, so that's a good sign.

x1Heavy and homeskillet Thank this.
  6. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    I can relate to the hard to sleep... It gets better after time. We picked up a mattress from a furniture store and it has made a world of difference..

The original paper thin new mattress we had plus memory foam toppers were nothing in comparison to a 9 in mattress. Well worth the money.

Nortex and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Also when you get into a place that sells body pillows, the 6 foot long thick ones, grab about 4 of them. Toss three under or over the bunk matress and one along the back wall and possibly a corner. That builds a sort of a nest. A set of mexican blankets will assist, especially during winter. The woven black/white or similar color patterns. You will know it when you see it in a petro or somewhere. That way no matter how bad the road you can cushion some of the hits.

Being able to commend your life to your spouse and sleep when he or she is in the drivers seat for the night and a unknown desitnation with the question when waking up where am I. That's a pretty good thing for each other. Make a game out of it. Warmer, colder etc. Which is why I can get pretty close by looking at the photos or video of our Nation. But am not perfect.

One time I gave my spouse instructions about 220 to 80 then milesburg/snowshoe. I told her that she has to be on track here, if she went over or down milesburg stop at the bottom and get me if Im not already up. She was in snowshoe where supposed to be in 9 inches of snow the next morning from Pittsburgh. It was one of her better nights. We took a trailer off a trucker who was running late up there. And he was on time up there too.

One minor thing, that truck should have in writing on both sides, team truck, check bunk. That tells first responders that there usually two souls aboard and they really need to check that bunk after a smash or trouble like a ammonia gas leak in a cold storage. (Check that orange windsock when pulling in that sits up on the corner above the docks and park up wind where possible)

The devil dances in the details. It seems my posts are never ending with little things that some might think wtf is this tripe? But if you think on it, it helps.

doireann, TequilaSunrise and Nortex Thank this.
  8. Nortex

Nortex Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Pottsboro, Tx
    Hey y'all. Well, we've been out on the road for over two months. Our first trip out was a 40 day adventure and the 5 days home time was awesome! Next trip out we decided to try about half that and ended up being out 22 days...that seemed about right for us. HOWEVER, we decided to go another direction. We are leaving Schneider and start this week with a smaller carrier running a dedicated route.

The reason we are leaving Schni is because we weren't getting the miles we were told we would be. If we're gonna be away from home and stuck in a truck, we want to run! Our dispatcher was great but he was only around about a quarter of the time we were on the clock, on the road. The problems almost always popped up around midnight, give or take a few hours. Usually the solution was just to sit tight and wait for the day crew to get in. I really don't have anything bad to say about Schneider, I think it's a great place to start, and I always thought it likely wasn't a long term placement, though I had some hopes that it could be.

So, this is a good thing, I think...and hope. The dedicated route is supposed to give us 5k+ miles per week and we happened to increase our cpm by a nickel. Both good things.

We learned that we can each run 500+ miles/day without any trouble as long as we are somewhat rested. That, however, is still our biggest challenge. It has gotten better but neither of us are able to sleep more than a couple of hours straight while the truck is moving. Generally we end up running on about 5-6 hours of sleep total per day. That is enough but after a couple of weeks out it really starts to add up and makes life difficult.

All in all, my wife loves her career change from being an RN and I really love it too. On the good days we just look at each other and say "can you believe we're actually getting paid to do this?". After a little seasoning we now love trucking 95% of the time and "hate" it 5% of the time.

Cheers!

9. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    Glad to hear you two are having fun with it and moving forward! Miles are a real challenge for a non-dedicated team. On the other hand, hard running dedicated drivers burn out fast.

5000mi a week is a good sustainable pace. Hubby and I wish you good luck at your new home. :)

born&raisedintheusa and Nortex Thank this.
  10. Danny N Angel

Danny N Angel Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2017
    This was a great post. Thanks for taking the time to share it.
    May I ask, what are all the tools you use the most in your toolbox. My husband and I are coming from IT, and Machining fields which means we know the importance of tools. I love tools which means I have all kinds of tools, yet I know I can not bring them all.
    We are in school and we was already thinking about bringing our walkies.
    We also own our own home.... any tips on water or gas... should we turn it off at the main turn off? Electric I plan on leaving on just turning up the AC so it's not unbearable when we do get home.
    Thanks in advance for all the help.

miss elvee Thanks this.
  11. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    3lb hammer
    Vise grips
    Rubber snubber for chains
    Three sizes each screw driver.
    Torx kit (25 & 27 most common)
    Socket set, combo metric/std up to 3/4"
    Baling wire
    Wire cutters
    Needle nose pliers
    Carry spare trailer parts in a see thru case
    Good led headlight

Danny N Angel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.