5th Wheel replacement Favorite

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by truckinfast, Dec 31, 2015.

1. truckinfast

truckinfast Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Texas
    I have a Fontain No-Slack 5th wheel that has too much slack, think it is worn out. Would you just replace the top plate for @ $700 or would you replace with a different brand or model? What do you think of the new No-lube and lo-lube fifth wheels?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

I had a Holland on mine and replaced it with a Holland.
    I have liked this brand for years. Just a matter of choice.
    Then also if you change brands will it work in your current slide tray?

4. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    Not an owner op, but this should be an interesting thread. I always preferred a Fontaine 6000 fifth wheel. I've heard that the aluminum no lube fifth wheels are lighter, which is advantageous if you run heavy (every little bit helps, I guess). My concern would be the grease residue left behind on the upper plates of any trailers you may pull. Does this harm the no lube fifth wheels in any way? I wouldn't see how it would, but I guess anything is possible.

Darn good question, I know I didn't help at all. But I'm betting you'll get some good replies to this one.

truckinfast Thanks this.
  5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I own that same fifth wheel, I bought mine "new" 3 years ago, Same with me, I hooked up and had over an inch of slack in a "no slack" fifth wheel.

Was I Pissed, So I read the owners manual thinking I had a bad wheel.....

truckinfast, There's a bolt on the passenger side of the fifth wheel to adjust the stop rod.....I played with it for a while and got it adjusted to where I have about an eighth of an inch play now........

Make sure you are uncoupled when you adjust the stop rod.......Even better if you have a 2 inch pipe to use to couple and uncouple..

truckinfast Thanks this.
  6. Ozdriver

Ozdriver Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    Do you guys have the rotating ball-race fifth wheels, the ones that rotate on a single or double row ball bearing? You never get wear anywhere long as you keep the bearing greased. The face of the fifth wheel is free of any grease.
    I've got German-made Josts on double row ball race, had them for years, never give trouble.
    Disadvantages: they are higher than a normal skid plate, and you have to have a block on your trailers so the jaws are always lined up with the trailer kingpin.

bigguns and truckinfast Thank this.
  7. truckinfast

truckinfast Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Texas
    Seems like the ball bearings would move easier than Greased steel and could help prevent a jackknife

Ozdriver Thanks this.
  8. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    You can buy a service kit with new jaws for about $150 from your dealer. The primary lock is a serrated jaw that wears smooth eventually. The secondary lock is a latch. You are probably feeling it fall back on the secondary lock. New jaws will fix that, assuming the rest of the assembly is ok.

9. Ozdriver

Ozdriver Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    True, there's virtually no wear long as you keep the grease up, but do you have them in North America? They are fairly common in Oz, specially with O/Os with their own trailers.
    Another thing, when you are on sharp angle, like when the tractor is 90 deg to the trailer, the fifth wheel is always lined up with the tractor, which has to be a good thing.

Edit: I meant lined up with the trailer. My bad. It puts less stress on the frame of the tractor when you are on a sharp angle and you are going through a dip

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    truckinfast Thanks this.
  10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Oz,ballrace fithwheels are only found in Aussieland.Weight and/or height are no one else has then.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.