5th wheel RV hauls

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Rv Haul, Jun 11, 2021.

  1. Rv Haul

    Rv Haul Bobtail Member

    Jun 11, 2021
    I’m just starting up and wanted to kno what exactly to I need to get These RVs from these dealerships and manufacturers and hit the road!? I have an LLC ,DOT, all the deets, but what plates do I need to slap on these loads? Is it a transporter plate? No one seems to know when I call DMV so I’m at a loss. Dealers asked if I have my own plates.... I do on my pickup of course, but what goes on the load!? PLEASE HELP! Lol
  2. Hulld

    Hulld Road Train Member

    Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    How about motor carrier authority with the proper insurance?
    Do you have that?
  3. Rv Haul

    Rv Haul Bobtail Member

    Jun 11, 2021
    Yes that I do
  4. brian991219

    brian991219 Road Train Member

    Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    You need a transporter plate. Depending on the state you are based out of you may need a commercial address to get them and a contract with one or more dealer (here in PA we need both a physical commerical location and a contract with a PA licensed dealer).

    If you don't already have it you will also need haulaway added to your insurance which isn't cheap. Normal trailer interchange insurance does not cover trailers as cargo which is what you will be doing.
    Ruthless, Lite bug, Hulld and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Creswell81

    Creswell81 Bobtail Member

    Apr 7, 2020
    North Carolina
    Does anyone know if hauling 5th wheel campers pay good?
    Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Brandonpdx

    Brandonpdx Road Train Member

    Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    From what I know, the RV manufacturers don't usually deal with 1 truck operators. They have arrangements with hauling outfits such as Synergy, Indiana Transport, Horizon, etc. (most of them are in Elkhart County, IN where the factories are) and those companies lease on truck owners and provide them the hauling insurance, transporter plate, etc. Pulling singles with just a power unit is not all that lucrative and the other problem is getting reloads back is difficult in most spots. Hauling 2 or 3 units at a time with either a haul and tow or roll off trailer pays pretty well...around $2.50/mi right now, and a lot of those guys haul cars back.

    If you have your own authority, cargo trailers pay better I've heard and I think they do deal with independent guys. You need the same type of trailer as with RVs with the center rail and winch but it's basically the same idea. Somebody else mentioned it already but the insurance to haul automobiles and trailers as freight can be stupid expensive, which is another reason why most guys who haul RV's just lease their equipment to one of the RV hauling companies. If that is your truck in the picture, that would be a good one to pull a deckover trailer with and stay under 26,000. (See Shipshe, MO Trailer or Kann manufacturing for what those look like)
  7. Flat Earth Trucker

    Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

    Nov 19, 2018
    Somebody thinks so or else no one would haul campers.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted