60,000 driver shortage in the USA

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by stacks, Aug 17, 2021.

1. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    Gees that’s an Awesome daily rate do you get any overtime thrown in or any incentives it’s a good time to Actually have a valid CDL

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida

Dayton Freight has time and a half overtime and plenty of it according to one of their drivers. Just about everyone I talk to says their companies will let you work as much as you want. Most Indy companies are short drivers.

stacks and BeHereNow97 Thank this.
  4. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    And that is a sign of a great company, with the key word being WANT.

When you're FORCED to work 12.5 - 13.5 hour days for 5 days straight with BS overtime pay way beyond 40 hours (somehow in the trucking world local jobs are free to disperse OT as they see fit lol) it gets old fast when you include a commute.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Big trucking companies and the ATA calculate a driver shortage by looking how fast demand for freight is increasing and then extrapolating until they get a shockingly large number. In 20 years we'll need 8 billion CDL drivers.

In the early 20th Century they calculated in a decade or two there would not be enough women in the country to become telephone switchboard operators. Then someone invented direct-dial telephones.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    My last few loads have been like that. No shortage of loads over here.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  7. Geekonthestreet

Geekonthestreet Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2021
    Chicago
    The problem with extrapolating a “National” shortage is that, from what I’ve seen, the shortages are regional. New Mexico has very high paying jobs but most of the population is on drugs and is disqualified from employment. Plus they don’t really train. I might return in a few years after I’ve had my fun in the Chicago area.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.