60,000 driver shortage in the USA

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by stacks, Aug 17, 2021.

1. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Yeah, I'm washed up because they wont hire me back....sure I am! It might take some effort and more searching, but I'll be driving this winter, for some trucking company out of Phoenix. Like my life revolves around Knight!

Team818 and dwells40 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    What do you mean by pay shortage. Lotta guys are getting 30 dollars an hour home every night. Other guys are averaging $2000 a week. Things are looking pretty good. That’s as long as you have two years experience and are nowhere near a mega company. Knight would be a mega

4. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    This.

Ultimate proof there is no driver shortage is shelves are NEVER empty.

If there was a driver shortage product would NOT make making it to shelves.

Stuff is always making it's way to where it needs to be, some claiming shortage because there is a shortage of drivers willing to move cheap freight.

5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Easier for people to stay put and #####. Some make moves, and some would rather ##### and moan. lol

Bud A., bryan21384, nredfor88 and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    I was at my local Kroger store the other night and was actually pretty surprised how many shelves were empty. I figured it was just people freaking about covid again.

Empty enough I left without several items I’d planned to get. That never happens during normal times.

7. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Do a search "covid school" and look how much stuff pops up.
    Multiple schools shutting down already and student being told to quarantine.

We are screwed, this BS is never going away.

Here are a few examples

Screenshot_20210818-015228_Chrome.jpg

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  8. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Is that W-2 and are you hiring, Sir? Lol

9. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    lol yea w2 but sorry no fueling Loves :D ;)

bryan21384 and BeHereNow97 Thank this.
  10. BeHereNow97

Sep 15, 2020
    Yeah but if you go local it's a job, not a lifestyle so that's not really an accurate statement as I'de say at least 50% of trucking jobs are local. However, the problem that I faced when I tried local, and I'm not saying this pertains to every local job, was that it's a lot of hours. If you go OTR it's a lifestyle you have to deal with and if you go local it's the crazy amount of hours. Yeah OTR is a lot of hours too but that's spread out over 7 days if you run off recaps AND you have no commute.

If you can get a local 50 hour week job in trucking M-F, you hit the jackpot. I was doing 60 - 63 hour work weeks M-F with a 30 minute commute there and a 30 minute commute back. One 30 minute break during the day and that was it. I certainly got paid good money to do it, but man those hours suck. They really suck. There were family guys who had been working like this for years. I felt bad for them, when you work that many hours in a 5 day work period, your whole life is work. They're missing out on their kids lives, missing time with there wife, missing time with their family.

I will say at least what I was doing in local LTL, at least the guys got paid good for it. But man it comes at a price. Trucking is alright for me as a single man but I can certainly see why people leave the industry, whether local or OTR if they have a family. Life is too short to miss out on your family if you have one.

And to be clear I'm not bashing trucking, it works for me. I'm just saying there are very valid reasons why people don't want to get into the profession or continue working in the profession.

11. BeHereNow97

Sep 15, 2020
    No Love's? Are you serious?! For shame Sir, for shame! :p

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.