60 series 14L high egt

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by dustinbrock, Jul 14, 2018.

1. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Ok the fun continues but I may have resolved some issues here...... One injector siezed solid and snapped the injector rocker end clean off, filled my crankcase with fuek..... Alot of fuel!

20180827_174733.jpg

Went and bought 6 new injectors from Detroit and 6 new injector cups, they are so easy to change so why the heck not! Rockers were on a 2 week back order so I found one at a salvage yard and had it over nighted.

After doing my oil change and fuel filter and overhead I started it and she ran way better but fuel pressure was still low, I've ruled out all other issues so I drove a hour back to town and bought a new combo check valve/regulator. I know many have said they will hard start if they are bad...... They are wrong! That's if the check valve goes, if the spring gets weak it'll have low fuel pressure....... That's what mine did, I installed it and fired it up and I went from 10psi at 600rpm to 16psi. Detroit spec is 17psi so I'd say I'm pretty bang on.

20180828_185558.jpg

I just bought a new one for $300cad because I already bought everything else new, the regulator looks like it can be opened and cleaned so I'll try on my old one tomorrow for fun. Was a pain to reach the back of the head to swap but a couple scratched arms and I'm good...... I'll update with how she drives and if it fixes any other issues as I'm about to hit the road and pull a savage hill.

Tag for future people looking at this issue: 2006 Detroit 60 series ddec v low fuel pressure

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    This valve has 2 functions: Keeping the fuel in the cylinder head and regulating the fuel pressure, but if your truck, starts right up in the morning, the valve is OK. If you want to increase the fuel pressure a little bit, you may play with the springs of the fuel pump, but I don't recommend it. Higher the pressure, higher the temperature of the fuel. The computer starts cutting the fuel, if temperature gets to some point and throwing code "Fuel temp high".

It is a good idea to install a fuel cooler on the return line. It will give you more power on a very hot day. Any transmission cooler will do the job.

4. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    This is the same information I've heard and read over and over and it is wrong apparently..... my truck fired up instantly all the time yet had 8 - 10 psi less fuel pressure then it should have with a brand new pump, injector, cups and filter.

just because the check valve is working fine and the ball is not crudded up, does not mean the regulator section isn't weak.

pushbroom and AModelCat Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    See this happen a lot on some industrial engines I work on. Spring regulates the pressure, check ball prevents fuel drainback. 2 functions.

pushbroom and dustinbrock Thank this.
  6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I'm not familiar with ddec5 stuff but I know they run a high volume low pressure fuel system. Ddec4 is higher pressure then ddec5.

I do know that in the ddec4 there is no regulator to get week as it's just a small orfice hole in the brass fitting in the head. Not sure what yours has.

Triple C and dustinbrock Thank this.
  7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I've had the same issue with rock and injector happen before. Engine shut down. I think it's just bad rocker casting that breaks on rare occasion.

8. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    So I guess a update is in order...

truck runs like never before! power upon power and it runs so smooth. I've verified no air in fuel return, I've isolated every aspect of the air system and fixed one small boost leak. my air loss while testing the entire system was loss through the exhaust going through either a open exhaust valve during pressuring up or something weak internal in the engine. turbo has side shaft play and I can get the cold side fins to scrape a but on the housing.

I get 33psi of boost on hard pulls, peak at 35psi at 1800rpm+ while pulling hard. I do remember that this 177287 had less booat then my 171702 fresh out the box.

Pyro is still hotter than I'd like but manageable. it'll hit 1000 empty or loaded no problem but only goes to 1100 on hard pulls, it'll start climbing to 1200 on long steep grades if I let it drop below 1600rpm but I can keep it in check.

45000lbs empty 120000lbs loaded

at this point I'm gonna say worn valve or weak compression is my issue.... gonna trade out this turbo but doubt that'll change anything. going back to the 171702 for now and gonna start piecing together a rebuild kit for when the time comes.

9. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    just a update, center section of my exhaust manifold cracked yet again...... still not sure of what's causing my high egt but this is starting to tick me off....

10. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Problem solved.

Turbo blew after exhaust cracked yet again, the turbo had been acting up for a while and was my likely culprit.

New manifold, brand new 171702 and I removed all components off the truck.

Highest egt I've seen was 950 degrees now! I'm very happy its finally fixed but surprised this engine hasnt blown up after running so hot for so long......

Decided to use the egr oil supply and return for a amsoil bypass filter.

PhotoGrid_1553395237684.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help through this ordeal.

QUALITYTRUCK and swaan Thank this.
  11. MorningStar1

MorningStar1 Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Southeast Texas
    Mine did the same thing. Broke in two under it's own weight while removing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.