6nz Cat erratic idle....

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by rbrtwbstr, Apr 23, 2019.

1. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I currently run a Western Star glider with a 6nz CAT, 475HP, engine build date is 2001. Every once in a while, when I start it, after a minute or so, the idle speed will jump to 1000 rpms. The only way I can get it back to normal is by moving the truck. Then, once I stop again, after a minute or so, it goes back up to 1000 rpms.

I had the fuel temp wire on it, but I've removed it since this began, and it still does it. And I know it used to idle up a bit to 800 rpms when it was cold, but it would return to 600 as soon as I would push the clutch.

Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Fuel wire is not causing this. Sounds like some sort of short somewhere in your main engine harness. You check for any stored codes using your cruise control switch? What is the condition of your wire harness

4. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Have your pedal looked at could be the TPS sensor is bad.
    I wonder if that engine was programmed to run high idle when parked?
    If your engine were cutting out and not throwing a code I would suggest looking at the injector drivers they can come loose and no code will show.

5. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Yeah there's no codes showing, the truck is a year old, so I imagine the wiring harness is still good. It works just fine, other than this issue. Our mechanic is stumped on it as well. He said he's gonna ask our local Cat guru about it

6. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    If it is a Fitzgerald glider. I would question their workmanship.
    Maybe the harness got damaged from rubbing?
    Or a short somewhere?

MM71 Thanks this.
  7. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Not a Fitzgerald. Built in our shop, so I'm pretty confident the wiring isn't rubbed or pinched, but you never know.

8. KittyKicker

KittyKicker Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Don't assume the wires are still good. I have a 389 glider that had light issues about 6 months after I bought it. Turned out that a harness had rubbed on the bottom of the cab...

9. Bigrigmayo93

Bigrigmayo93 Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Chicago Illinois
    Maybe a speed sensor? My 03 c15 would give rpm issues while driving. That fixed my problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.