6NZ fan not engaging

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by W Bench Farms, Apr 19, 2018.

1. W Bench Farms

W Bench Farms Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Having some issues with a 6NZ82245 in a 1995 FLD 120. Temp gauge runs up to 185+, overtemp light and buzzer comes on, truck wants to shut down. Fan never engages. Put a manual switch in, so I know that the air switch on the fan clutch works ok. Have talked to my Cat man, and several Freightliner dealers, and getting a few different responses. I'm thinking that the 2 sensors behind the A/C compressor are at fault, which should be the fan switch and the gauge sensor. Was told that these are truck specific, so go to the truck dealer and not Cat. One Freightliner parts man mentioned that the A/C pressure switch may be at fault, however a/c on this truck is inop at the moment. The other Freightliner parts man mentioned 3 sensors, a fan sensor, gauge sensor, and engine temp sensor. I'm wondering if he may have something confused on this one. Anyone have any ideas? Hoping I'm not running into an ECM issue. 217 is cut in on the fan, but gauge isn't going that high before the light comes on.

KB3MMX and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    You most likely have a defective switch for the high water light. Normally open switch should close at around 230-240. Nothing special for the light switch and should be available at any parts store.

You are correct with the fan on temp of 217. If the ECM and dash gauge match that side should be good.

4. W Bench Farms

Oct 16, 2017
    Where is the light switch located? I'm tempted to put a manual gauge in just to make sure that the dash temp is reading correctly. I would hate to get it too hot.

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    You mention 2 sensors. A light switch is usually a single wire. Pull the wire off and ground it to see if the light comes on. Laser temp gun to to the rad hoses and thermostat area will give you a good idea what temp your running at to compare to your gauge.

6. W Bench Farms

Oct 16, 2017
    Good thoughts! One sensor is 2 wire other is 3 I think. One supposed to be for the fan other for the gauge. Have to search around for one for light. Wasn't sure if the light went through the ecm or not.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.