6Pin, 9Pin, Green plugs etc

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Baltimike, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Baltimike

Baltimike Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Looking for some assistance, as I am fairly new to this. I currently sell hardware to support ELD mandates. Since my customers have varied fleets, I am having problems knowing which connection the truck has. I know the majority of the trucks will take a 9Pin connection, but there have been some that take a 6Pin...and vice versa. Seems like 2005-2007 is the transition years from 6 to 9pin.
    Is there an easy way to know what connection a truck has? I really can't ask a customer to send me a pic of the connection in every truck in his fleet, especially a fleet of hundreds of trucks. Appreciate any guidance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    A lot of different ones. Some change every few years. Want to sell something, go to the manufacturers and get it.

4. Baltimike

Baltimike Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Thanks. Local dealer was less than helpful.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It is really simple.

Most of the early ones are 6 pin, this would be like 1999 and earlier. The reason for this is that they used a different protocol for the ecm - I think it was J1756.

After that they were 9 pin, they shifted to the J1939 protocol.

Most of the time if there is a J1939 protocol, then it is 9 pin. The exception may be transmission ecms where there is a 6 pin.

My diag equipment has all the connectors with it, I haven't used the 6 pin except for my little RV/truck setup.

They make adapters to go from 6 to 9 or 9 to 6.

By the way if you are selling elog systems, the manufacturer needs to be clear on which connectors are use, they are supposed to be using J1939 protocols, nothing else from all I read.

6. wichris

Jan 17, 2011
    It isn't just how many pins, it's the configuration of the pins. I need two different connectors for the freightliners and two for the Volvo's.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You need the triangle shaped 6 pin plug too?

I thought that was used for transmission diags only.

All the ecms they've installed have one plug going to the connection and that's it.

8. Baltimike

Baltimike Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2017
    The systems I use have a Y-Cable from black box to the port, whether it is 6 or 9 pin, and they are manufactured by the black box OEM. Allows for a mechanic to connect for troubleshooting.
    No need for connecting to transmission. I am thinking there is no matrix anywhere to cross reference a 2008 Freightliner (for example) to see the connection type it has.

9. wichris

Jan 17, 2011
    Left 2009-2016 FL, Center 2017-18 FL, Right Volvo/Mack. When you hook up an EOBR it is connected to that plug with a Y connector.

Attached Files:

• conn.jpg
      conn.jpg
      File size:
      192.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Taytran

Taytran Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2019
    I have the 2012 Freightliner with an 9 pin the omnitracs doesn't come on after I connect it could you tell me what the problem with that.

11. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    There are now 6 different 9-pin cables (counting the weird Westernstar one.) See the picture attached to this post. What is the year/make/model of the truck?

- was the Omnitracs working in this truck in the past, or is this a new install?

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.