Thinking about switching companies, but need some advice.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mattbh23, Jan 21, 2019.

1. mattbh23

mattbh23 Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Benton Harbor, MI
    So I have been praying and talking to friends and my current company knows a few of my gripes (don’t like complaining to a company unless it is bad).

My company was paying bi-weekly and decided that at the last minute (2 weeks before Christmas) and short notice to the drivers, we’re Switching to weekly pay. The way they have it set-up is that they are doing hold back weeks. It’s just been a mess.

Long story short, with the holidays being over this has put a strain on me and I starting to look elsewhere because I feel slighted. Been at this company for 2 years, I have a friends who have told me this is the slow season...I am going to try and stick it out until March.

With that being said, just seeking some guidance and wisdom from other experienced drivers or if anyone has had this experience and how you went about solving it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    bi-weekly means, you get paid every 2 weeks?

i prefer weekly paychecks. most companies "hold back one week"..no matter the industry. (i have had other jobs before trucking)

i cannot see rhyme nor reason for you feeling "slighted".

4. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    You have been there 2 years and things are heading south it means time to exit and I mean fast. When companies make changes that are detrimental for drivers it almost never comes back they are counting on your tolerance and comfort level (nobody likes applying for a new job) to keep you around. That change in payroll without notice is a big clue don’t walk run away as fast as possible.

mattbh23 Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i am almost NOT believing that his company did not send out notices either in paychecks or via electronic devices, that this was going to happen.

it takes time to switch out payroll, to a new/different format, it is not instantaneously.

mattbh23 Thanks this.
  6. mattbh23

Dec 19, 2011
    Benton Harbor, MI
    They told us, but we didn’t know how they were going to implement the change until they sent out amessage informing us of the change two weeks before Christmas . It blindsided a lot of us.

7. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    if they told all of you, then you were not blindsided.

you didn't need to know how they were going to do it. unless all of you are payroll/programming experts.

as i see it/read it, the change was informing you 2 weeks before christmas. then the change took place.

there simply was no blindside.

8. mattbh23

Dec 19, 2011
    Benton Harbor, MI
    May not be blindside from your point of view, but to me when it comes to matters of money, I need at least a months notice, so I can plan things accurately.

9. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    sounds like you’re nitpicking. if 1-2 weeks pay is that important i must question your previous financial decisions. my advice: go to work and do your job.

from the sounds of it, you might be doing your current employer a favor by leaving.

LoSt_AgAiN, Dan.S and buddyd157 Thank this.
  10. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    So now you get paid every week and you’re mad?

Woodys, tinytim, Dan.S and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    Plenty of good companies looking for drivers.

tscottme and mattbh23 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.