77 Year Old Flips Camry In Car Wash

Discussion in 'Other News' started by mjd4277, Jan 7, 2023.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It may take his independence but he has to let it go then its what it is. Sometimes one can think they are still capable but the abilities suggest something different.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    About 5 years ago I was given a trainee that wanted to use her left for the brake.
    After attempting to explain to her it wasn't correct and she needed to learn to use just her right before she could even begin training on anything besides the yard truck. She decided to try and argue that she was correct doing it that way cause her mother thought her how to drive 2 years ago and this made it quicker for her to stop.
    Needless to say she never got past the first hour of training that day, most of it spent with me trying to keep my composure before I lost it and put her out!

4. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Agreed. We set the brakes on the old man a while back and he wasn’t happy but it had to be done. Dirtily I reported him and had him retested and he failed miserably. Was it low, definitely but he was 100% going to kill someone. All I could picture was him hitting some kid walking or some pregnant woman in a parking lot.

bzinger, gentleroger, Coffey and 4 others Thank this.
  5. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Incidents like these are a reason why most driver licensing agencies are cracking down on elderly drivers. Where I live, if a doctor determines that you’re not safe to drive, he or she immediately of alerts the RMV and the RMV will take steps to suspend or revoke the license, pending a dangerousness hearing.

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    case in point, not all older people stay off the roads, local or highway.

i had a relative in the early stages of dementia.

he was supposed to go and pay a bill, like he always did, using back streets.

he got onto I-95, in Providence, and his car finally ran out of gas in NH.

state trooper up there asked him where was he going (an APB was put out for him). he said he was going to his daughters house, which is like 15 minutes SOUTH of providence.

can you imagine him on I-95 driving slowly and maybe all over the road..???

i can.

his wife and daughters refused to believe something was wrong with him, and take his keys away.

cost the 1 daughter who actually DID live in NH, money for gasoline, and her husband to follow her back to the dad's home.

i'm certain, there are a few more people with dementia on the roads, and the families are in denial of the situation.

look at nearly all those Amber alert signs over the highways, for "silver alerts", with color, make and license plate numbers....

7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    there are signs posted, but who reads them..??

sorta like a 1 way sign, stop sign, yield sign, and leave your dog outside sign.....everyone either ignores them, doesn't read them, or understand them, or flips them off, thinking they are God's gift to society.

ducnut Thanks this.
  8. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Hears a story of an old guy. Left his house to drive a few blocks to grocery store. Ended up in a ditch in the middle of nowhere on a back country dead end road well over an hour from his house. Went in the ditch, floored the accelerator till he ran out of gas and then cranked it over till battery was dead

Coffey and ducnut Thank this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Sounds like today’s truck driver. Hears the forecast for negative temps, doesn’t add any anti-gel because truck stops do it, runs until he’s gelled and the truck quits running, then, crank the starter until the batteries are dead. :D

Siinman and Numb Thank this.
  10. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    There was an old couple that lived down the street from me as a kid I find out a couple year ago the the man accidently killed his wife backing out of the drive way she was getting into the car but wasn't in completely when he start backing out really sad both of them was really nice people and had to be in there 80 or 90s

Siinman Thanks this.
  11. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    My mom took my grandfather's independence. He went to his grave thinking a stranger had turned him in to the DMV.

All of us watched grandpa's driving skills decline to the point where he made unsafe decisions on when to enter traffic. He even scared me once, so I didn't need any convincing when the time came.

Siinman and ducnut Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.