86,000 GVWR registration

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by mitmaks, May 8, 2018.

1. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    My truck is registered for 86K instead of 80K
    Am I supposed to get additional permit through states Im traveling through ie Minnesota to WA and it only applies to non-divisible loads, right?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Are you registered through IRP and IFTA?

4. keitht

keitht Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    USA
    Yes, you would need an oversize permit to travel in excess of 80,000 lbs on the interstate. And yes, overweight permits are typically only granted for non-divisible loads.

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I would say depends on the state. Say you are in MI and running a tri-axle nothing else is needed. Just keep throwing on axles and register for more weight until you run out of room, (I think the most I've seen on a "normal" sized tanker is 8 axles.

6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Keitht is wrong. You need a additional permit in Idaho and Oregon. These are "extended weight" annual permits that allow you to run over gross, but not over axle up to registered weights. I think Idaho is like $45, OR a little more. Not needed in Wyoming, Montana or Washington; you can run up to registered weight without additional permits. In Minnesota, you can run at 86,000 on secondary roads with agricultural commodities, but not over 80,000 without an overweight permit. South Dakota escapes me at the moment.

This is all provided you have six axles or a spread. On five axles, with a closed tandem you need an ordinary overweight permit.

mitmaks Thanks this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    South Dakota you need a permit to run over 80k on the interstate so if you’re happy running two lane roads all day you don’t need one. Nebraska is the same, you need a permit to run over 80k on the interstate. Not sure on North Dakota anymore, they used to have the permit you had to fill out and mail the postcard in every trip. I’m sure it’s changed by now.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Dakotas used to be a registration for weight. No permit required.

Like Wyoming. You could haul up to your registration.

Did they do away with that?

There was a few states that simply needed registration only. Don't remember which now. Been awhile.

The non divisible thing depends on the states. Ca and Az are the only sticklers on the west coast. Don't allow over 80. But i hauled 1 load that was part of a heavy haul load that came out of Ca.

I can't for the likes of me figure out what's up with the short doubles in Ca though. Unless it's something with the kingpin laws.

You can figure any state that obviously hauls freight over 80 would be a divisible state. Like oil, milk, dirt, etc.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    North and South Dakota have required permits to run over 80 on the interstate since I was a kid and dad was alive. Used to be a permit you had to fill out every trip that said where you got on the interstate at and where you were getting off at. They came in a little book. South Dakota has an annual permit now for it. North Dakota had something similar only it was a postcard that had to be mailed to the state at the end of your trip, I’m assuming they have an annual permit now as well. You’ve always been able to load up to your registration without a permit if you ran the secondary roads.

I was always told the short doubles in CA were for better maneuverability and more space with two 28ft trailers.

snowwy Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    That might have been it. The secondaries.

I know the truck was licensed for 84 in the states that allowed due to the simple fact that most times, the only loads out are overweight lumber and cars. And arguing with them to lighten me up got old.

Long FLD Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.