868 mile load 4 days to get it there?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lennythedriver, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I’ve never rejected a load before but thoughts with words like, “Stick that where the sun don’t shine” etc. etc. popped into my mind when I was dispatched a load that is 868 miles with FOUR complete full days to get it there. This is lue of the other elements having me sit a couple days per week for some reason or another usually with a dispatcher trick applied so I don’t get paid much.

this one takes the price though. Give me some ideas how I might handle this to send them a clear message that I’m not a 200 mile per day driver. Should I arrive at the shipper tomorrow morning which is possible? And then just sit there and send them pictures like I’m on vacation in front of the shipper for 3 freaking days? Lol Should I drive close to the delivery point, lock up the reefer, and hop on a flight to Mexico and maybe go drink some margaritas for a couple days?

Any other ideas?

Coffey and TokyoJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Call the receiver and ask if it can be delivered early.
    Some companies have a strict policy that the driver isn't allowed to call the receiver, but I'd do it anyway.
    If I'm fired, then big deal, dozens of other companies will hire me.

4. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    In past I got unloaded early quite often by just showing up and being polite to the receiving folks and genuinely not caring if they unload me early or not "doesn't matter to me, if not I'll just head to the truck stop. But it would help me out if you did unload me early"

Coffey, dunchues, D.Tibbitt and 7 others Thank this.
  5. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Good ideas! Both of you! If I can get unloaded early then I’m going to sit for two days and that would qualify me for detention pay.

6. Jenn72

Jenn72 Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2019
    I have called the receiver many of times and have been accepted two days early. They usually do if they had a cancellation.
    While I am being unloaded I then call my DM and let them know. That way I usually get another load right a way.

NYCB2A and Lennythedriver Thank this.
  7. Pickleball

Pickleball Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I have found that by showing up 2 days early on the swing shift can sometimes help...
    Usually there's fewer managers and the unloaders can be looking for work...YMMV

Lennythedriver, dunchues and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Just recently we were advising drivers not to quit their jobs because of economic conditions related to Covid-19. Has that recommendation changed?

9. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Ive even offered em $50 bucks if they would unload me early.

Capacity and Lennythedriver Thank this.
  10. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    My dad used to say the best time to look for a job is when you have a job. Check out what is out there for you.
    Do you have a hazmat? Study for it.
    Call operations manager and let them know how unhappy you are.
    Get a room, rent a car and do something fun. Don't waste your time sitting in a truck stop.

rachi, Metalicious, meechyaboy and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I used to keep plenty of peach tea in my cooler and always carry one in. I'm sorry I am so early....we had a load cancel...blah blah. Sure would appreciate you getting me out of here. More innocent than money.

rachi and Lennythedriver Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.