$ 90.00 day flat pay option for rookies, miles weekly wages after that? solo out.

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Oaktown, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Oaktown

Oaktown Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Anyone know or have expierence with the guaranteed $90.00 day option? I like the sound of that, have bills to pay. I saw this other guys checkstubs from another company Refer, From Texas, won't say any names, and he was getting $137.00 weekly in training for weeks on end.

Daddy dont have time for that.

So, ok $90.00 a day and then solo out. at about 6-9 months what can I expect to make running 11 western gross a week? either in dolloars or miles what ever floats your boat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    If you want miles at May, better go 48 states.

4. Oaktown

Oaktown Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Other guys May drivers? have said it comes out about the same. Must be al those hours sitting at docks thinking about life on the refer side, that has got to add up and slow you down over the course of a week or a month. comparred to drop and hook, or am I off on this? But thanks, I've hear dthat before "people gotta eat" it does make sense. So, when I contact the recruiter just make sure they Know I want to run refer for them and not dry? Do you guys have APU's
    Thanks

5. Jimmy Hoffa

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    I quit May last September, at the pumpkin now. Ran western 11 for May. Averaged, maybe, 2000 miles a week. My buddie there,, who also ran western 11, couldn't survive on that many miles. So he switched to 48 states. He had alot of 3000 mile weeks, (when he wasn't sitting in motels, cause his tractors in the shop for re-gen issues).

6. Paloma

Paloma Medium Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    The $90 a day is for 90 days .. You will solo out after 3 weeks with a trainer.

Don't listen to all these people telling you that you only get miles on the 48 side.. That is just straight out BS. I was with May 4 years until 3 months ago, there is no difference. Its usually the ones with only a year that say that.

Truck lanes change weekly and they judge it on a few weeks or a couple months, not looking at the big picture.

With the 48, there is no where to drop a load at a yard. So its 95% live load and unload. With most of it food, thats 2-8 hours at a dock .. You don't make money sitting at a dock and kills yer hours of service. And ya spend most yer time east of Denver, CO.

The 11 western is 90% drop and hook. You roll more, witch means more miles. And not sitting at a dock all day long.

Those that say 48 is more miles are just full of crap. Maybe they do 11 western and don't want more in their area?

EV87 Thanks this.
  7. Paloma

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    May does not have APUs

EV87 Thanks this.
  8. Paloma

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Thats my point .. A couple bad weeks on one side and a couple good weeks on the other and a judgment is made. You need to be out here for years to totally understand trucking lane and how freight moves.

I am an Owner/Op .. Knowing freight lanes is why I am very successful out here. They change weekly.

I've been on 48 and had 1500 miles for the week sitting for 3 days in Atlanta. I cant judge it by that week.

Miles are the same on both sides .. What you have to decide is wether you are willing to sit at a dock for 7 hours, at work, not getting paid and running out of hours is what you want.

Reroll Thanks this.
  9. Jimmy Hoffa

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    I ran hard, but that's what I averaged, my buddie averaged the same, 2000 miles a week. On the 48 he routinely hit 3000 miles or more a week. Just relaying my experiance there. Too many drivers on western 11 whan I was there.

10. WorldofTransportation

WorldofTransportation Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Your mother
    If daddy don't have time for that you may want to reconsider driving...

your expenses on the road are going to be 10 to 25 a day... 90 -20= 70 x6= 420 - 75 taxes and such...=345 for your family to live on and to pay your bills... you will be workng 65 hours a week most weeks.. 65/420= 6.46 per hour after living on the road.. 5.30 per hour after taxes..

miles... even if you go with a company that is paying .15 cpm on every mile turned and sticks you with a rookie running teams.. at 4000 a week you will make.. 600 pre expenses and taxes..
    Here is the honest problem the pay stub you saw is a guy getting a 50 dollar advance every day... He is getting the most expensive thing on the menu and and playing to many video games.. IE trashin around the truckstops..This industry is not all the recruiters make it out to be.

When I started 17 years ago.. I was making .25 cpm ran for Transport America.. averaged about 2800 miles per week and cleared on avg 850 a week.. I took a cooler eat lots of tuna chunk ham.. fruits and veggies.. and 1 meal a day that normally consisted of either a 6 inch sub for $4.. or a special at dinner time.. My day started around 5 or 6 am and ended around 11.... most of that was driving and unloading ... The trick to trucking is to keep the left door closed and the tires moving.. and don't let these companies lie to you about 1k checks at the start.. Heck I make less now with 17 year experience than I did 12 years ago after it is all said and done.(and I seem to work harder)

Paloma and brsims Thank this.
  11. Paloma

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Personally, I hate the 48. The constant rush and traffic on east is crazy. Trying to find a place to park is ludicrous.

Two weeks ago I switched back to Western 11 .. I love it. Never have probs finding a place to park. And since I live in Oregon, I'm never more than 2 days away from home.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.