95 FLD 120 Unusual Detroit 12.7L throttle issue..?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Andrew Woods, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Andrew Woods

Andrew Woods Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    I picked up a 95 FLD 120 yesterday. Driving it home I noticed that the throttle seemed to have a dead spot somewhere in I’d say about the 10% throttle range. I thought no big deal, just change the pedal sensor and be good to go. Well got on the highway and set the cruise (bobtailing) and when I would start up a slight incline it would stutter (around that %10 load range it seemed) exactly the same as it would when I manually pushed the throttle. What’s odd is doesn’t the ECU control the throttle internally on cruise? If so the pedal sensor shouldn’t affect it at all on cruise as it’s not like some older vehicle that use an actuator to move the actual pedal for you. Anyone have any ideas? I’m stumped, I’m going to clean the sensor assembly and check it good and may pull the ecu connectors and clean them also. Doubt I’ll have any luck. I’ve read here and several other places about the ECU parameters being off but none of them stated this kind of symptom exactly. What could cause the ECU to cut out at a certain throttle position internally if it is the ECU itself?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    I will add that it has a used DDEC IV ECU on it as well.

4. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I had same issue on my 08 Columbia S60 DDEC 6 engine. Replacing the ATV or what ever it was called fixed the issue somewhat but it kept happening but not as much, my issue was at idle rolling and when i applied the pedal, it would stutter but take off as the pedal was pushed in more.

Never really found the issue but maybe it can lead you in the right direction.

5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Just curious, (Idon't know for sure) but doesn't that ddec1V ecm have programmed to that ddec111?

6. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    Well, that's what I thought as well. I was told that almost any of them will crank the engine and run it but to e optimized to that engine it needs to be programmed for that engine. I spoke with a lady in Dallas today at truckecm (Cant remember the exact name) and she said if I could bring it to them they would straighten it out by basically customizing all of the parameters to fit my engine vs taking it to the dealer. She would be able to customize it to fit my wants and needs vs a factory setup from the dealer. Which would include customizing the rev limiter, top speed, torque curve, hp, etc, etc. And her cost would be the same or less than a dealer charge.

7. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    This one is a 95 model, no ATV on it. If you are referring to the air throttle valve anyway.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I had the same problem on a 06 Columbia 14L. Try turning the key to the on position, let the gauges cycle, then press the pedal to the floor three times before starting. It worked for mine and to this day I have no idea why.

9. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    I'll try it but this is an older 12.7L DDEC4 ECU on a DDEC3 motor.

sealevel and Intothesunset Thank this.
  10. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    If you have a ddec 4 ECM on a ddec 3 engine someone spent some money on that engine. You need a different harness for a few extra sensors far as I've been told. About $4500 parts and labor before adding ecm cost.

11. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    According to the guy I bought it from it was plug and play. I did however notice that the fan will not engage with the switch, which should be a parameter that needs to be changed in the ecm. Fuel pressure gauge also does not work so that may be why as well.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.