95% of O/O (went broke), why is that?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Thatonenewguy, May 21, 2017.

1. Thatonenewguy

Thatonenewguy Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2017
    I am finding out that most brokers will simply not pay a reasonable rate. They have 10 #######es lined up ready to work for free. At first i thought they was just playing hard ball, but after talking to other truck drivers it seems that is not the case. They don't need to pay an honest wage. I believe this entire industry from company drivers to owner operators needs to start billing and paying by the hour? Just like the mechanic shops and tow companies. We have all been had..

6wheeler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I just started with my own authority pulling reefer. I can call negotiate a good rate but they won't load me because my MC is new. I have some contacts that will load me and their rates are decent. Tough it out for 6 months and more doors will open. So far in my conversations, rates haven't been the problem.

4. Thatonenewguy

Thatonenewguy Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2017
    I was making 25 an hour as a local driver. I could make 30 an hour tomarrow and be home every night. I like working for my self, do not like living in a truck. What do you mean, rates are decent? It is 15 grand to rebuild a motor, 1800 a month for insurance. These jack#ss brokers have actually offered me 1 dollar a mile!! If people are taking under 2 dollars a mile they will join the 95% percent of O/O that went broke?

5. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    When you talk rates, every operation is different. By the time I hit my home market tomorrow night or early Tuesday I will have averaged 1.86 on all miles. At that rate I'm profiting a little over .20 cpm. If I can keep my rate at 1.80 or more I can pay myself the salary I want to make, the business pays its bills, and I'll have healthy profits into the bank. And I'll be getting home more, although that is not a concern for me right now. If a broker wants to try and have you haul for a buck a mile just politely tell them, I can't do it for that but maybe we can work together in the future, thanks for your time. I did that coming out of OH the other day and the girl called me back paying significantly more but I already had a load by then. I told her I'll keep your info and when I'm around again I'll give you a call. Always be respectful.

Be careful where you put your truck; as a one truck guy you can't go anywhere and everywhere like the big guys do. For us, every load counts as opposed to the big guys that focus more on capacity than ensuring every load is paying top dollar, I'm not saying they haul cheap, it's just a different mindset.

Some times that buck a mile load might make sense if you are positioning yourself for that load that pays 3.00 a mile. You have to play the game or you'll just sit and not get any revenue.

I researched lanes I wanted to run and who is posting loads in that market. The guys always posting loads in that market are the ones I am working on. Building relationships. I am working my way into a position that I'll hit the same places over and over and hauling for less than 10 brokers/agents. You can't build that if you run wherever the wind takes you. I researched this for months planning which lanes I wanted to focus on. I have two really good relationships in my home market and they have freight in a few other markets as well.

One is a guy I've know before and we've kept in touch. While on time off I worked at his office for 6 hours as he is just getting up and rolling with his own brokerage and trucks again. The other guy I brought in a box of coffee and a couple dozen donuts from Dunkin and sat down with him to shoot the breeze. My friend isn't quite up and running yet but this other guy has loaded me twice. Just playing the game.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
  7. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Where did you pull this 95% number from?

8. jlafume

jlafume Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Victorville,Ca
    Its not the broker fault that a lot of owner ops want to work for fuel. As an owner you charge hourly instead of per mile its fun that way

HopeOverMope and TallJoe Thank this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    As I remember dad saying when he parked his truck and there was lots of work: "Sometimes its cheaper to park it than to work for peanuts"

Sure you make money but when the fuel bill and a bill for 26 tires comes in, there ain't much left over for the time invested.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  10. ramblingman

ramblingman Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2014
    now THAT is a true business man!

SheepDog and laaylor Thank this.
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    They pay whatever they have to pay. Merciless. You can demand whatever you can demand too. Nobody is forcing anybody to anything. For example, why not go to a barber shop and pay for a haircut $250, if everyone else in town will do it for 15. Too many trucks wanting to book a load in a given area is the problem.
    I am in awe of those operating a new equipment, sometimes worth over 200K with payments of over 3k a month + insurance cost and work off loadboards. If I can take a load for 1.75 a mile and 1500 other trucks in the area will do too, no charm skills are going to make a broker give the same load for 2.50 to anyone else. Unless the broker happens to be Saint Francis from Assisi.

laaylor and Expedite69 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.