'96 3406E oil pressure issues

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Marmon110P, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Marmon110P

Marmon110P Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Hey fellas, Ive got a 5EK 3406E and its always been running around 45 psi at idle and 55 or so at 1400 according to the mechanical gauge. Last week it dropped to about 40 psi at road speed and over the last few days its dropped to about 30. I hooked my scan gauge up to it and thats reading all over the place between 84 psi and 0 psi. When I started it cold this morning (0F) it was reading about 38 on the scan gauge, and then once it was warmed up, it was jumping all over between 0 n 84. The gauge stayed pretty consistent at 30-35 psi the entire time. The engine doesnt sound any different then before and the oil is about half way between add n full. Almost due for an oil change (in about 30 hrs). I did notice since it got cold that I have some coolant leaking into my oil when it sits for a couple days. Could this white coolant 'sludge' that I see on the dipstick be clogging the filter or the port for the gauge?? Also, where is the port for the factory mechanical gauge on these?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Coolant is plugging the filter and destroying your rod and main bearings. Drop the oil pan find/fix the coolant leak and roll some new bearings in before you have to replace the crank.

4. Roger McG

Roger McG Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2016
    western mass
    Probably liner o rings leaking coolant into the pan

5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Coolant does not plug up the oil filter. It is watering down the oil and decreasing its viscosity.

Roger McG and IH Truck Guy Thank this.
  6. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Sample the oil, if you didn't pitch it

staceydude Thanks this.
  7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Last guy I pulled for had a cat that was using water (cracked head or pitted liner they thought) anyway it would start to lose oil pressure, change the filter and would be good for a few weeks, then a few days then daily till it finally gave up. If I remember correctly the oil always looked fine. Thought they said the antifreeze was evaporating from the oil but leaving residue behind, clogging the oil filter? Or was it carbon getting past the rings plugging it up? Either way it drank a lot of coolant and needed a filter change often

Oscar the KW Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.