96 FLD, N14. Ign off but oil & warning light on. Won't turn on

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Asalinas2y, May 30, 2023.

1. Asalinas2y

Asalinas2y Bobtail Member

May 30, 2023
    Was driving yesterday and went over a road bump. Engine stalled (lost power) for a quick second along with I believe was oil and water light. I had a leak on my cab air spring so was thinking that's why it did that. Replaced both air springs got loaded and hit the road. 7 hrs into my trip, the lights came on again along with the 1 sec stall, after a road hump over a bridge on the highway. 10 mins later it did it again but no bump. Engine lost power and was slowly slowing down. I shifted to Netral and it quickly died after that. It turns over but doesn't turn. I check done this:
    -Checked all fuses along battery, ECM and they are good. Changed the fuel solenoid and 4 new batteries. The ground was super lose and didn't have proper contact, so put new ground and nut and bolt. Keys are off ignition but buzzer is still there and also the warning and oil light. Any suggestions?

Had mobile mechanic come out and check for codes but the laptop would get any data from truck. He said it would connect and thinking my ecm is fried.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Check connectors on oil pressure switch. Secure grounds

beastr123 and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  4. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN

Look for chaffed/broken wires between fuses in the battery box and ECM.
    There is no power (or there is a bad ground) to the ECM to give you info to the laptop to get codes.

blairandgretchen and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    When my ECM went bad, it gave a code 111.

6. J.R.

J.R. Light Load Member

May 17, 2012
    WI
    If Pete check cab accessory relay behind tach. They get full of water and cause those problems.

Sorry just saw the fld.

7. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I'd be checking all ignition relays first

8. Asalinas2y

May 30, 2023
    I swaped the ignition switch fuse. I couldn't find the relay to it. Any idea where it would be?

9. Asalinas2y

May 30, 2023
    Checked the fuse on the positive terminal going to from the battery to ecm. Also check the 2 (5a) fuses on ecm and they had current.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Are the warning light and buzzer still on with the ignition key in the ‘off’ position?

11. Asalinas2y

May 30, 2023
    That is correct. Key is off and buzzer along with oil light and what I believe is the warning light (3 arrows point to a circle). No data on OBD1 either.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.