96 pete

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 2021 truck, May 12, 2021.

1. 2021 truck

2021 truck Bobtail Member

May 12, 2021
    I'm looking at a 96 Pete day cab, short hood w/ remanufactured c-12. 35,000 miles on the engine, 888,000 total truck miles. 13 speed Eaton. Pulling ag hopper trailer. Any input in regards to purchasing the truck would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Who did the engine? Was it done by a reputable company.....does it have a solid warranty?

If the engine was "supposedly" redone by "some shop" somewhere but has no real warranty
    that would be a red flag. Ultimately price determines what to do......if the price is reasonable
    enough it could be a good deal......if the price is high because of the rebuilt engine than be careful.

2021 truck, Doealex and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Validity of paperwork for overhaul is important. Overall condition, frame rails. Electrical not chopped up, under hood, or under dash. Fuse box not rusty from windshield leaking. Need to check it out, overall. Maybe pay a mechanic if needed. Some problems are to be expected. Some easier than others to deal with. Depending on comparable deals, and how much you want it. Price should reflect all those things. If it’s the first Truck you’ve looked at, look around more before making a decision. I’m no expert on Pete’s. Or Cats. Or anything for that matter. I do enjoy looking at vehicles for sale. Keeping track of the market. Markets high right now. Finding a good deal isn’t easy. Best to shop around. On the other hand, might want to do it quick if it’s a good deal. Having a fresh engine is probably your best hedge against failure. Other Major things aren’t near as expensive. Maybe $1000-$5000. That’s usually doable for Me anyways. It’s the $20k+ items that are a killer. Especially if the Trucks only worth that amount normally. At some point, you have to look at overall cost on average. The longer you run it, the more it pays off. Till the next major inframe is needed. Remember the cost of the overhaul should only be added at about 50% over one without an overhaul. Some people try to get their total cost back. Without the overhaul, Truck was worthless. Maybe worth $3k-$5. Maybe a bit more in parts. The money spent was to bring it back up to its value. Maybe worth a little more now. No more than 50% of the cost. IMO.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  5. 2021 truck

May 12, 2021
    Thank you, the engine work was done by D&D Diesel, LLC in Florida. I have paperwork on it. It's a 1999 motor, talked to my local cat dealer and looked up the serial. Couldn't find anything. The paperwork shows the following
    - New Main Bearings
    - New Rod Bearings
    - New Liners
    - New Piston
    - New Piston Rings
    - New Injectors O’rings
    - New Gaskets
    - Cylinder degrease, magnaflux.
    I couldn't find to much about the company as well.

6. 2021 truck

May 12, 2021
    Thank you, I've been shopping around and am looking for something that will hold the value a little more when I do put money into it. I currently run an 07 freightliner. Good truck for what I do but when expensive repairs do happen I know that money will only be made back if I drive the truck to death. I know that's Trucking over all...but it seems Pete's are like gold in my area. I feel like if I spend 5,000 on repairs I might get 2,000 back if I had to sell, rather then putting 5,000 into the freightliner and getting 0 back if I had to sell. Makes me sleep a little better at night. Maybe that's wrong thinking.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Check it over and if it looks good, go for it.

2021 truck Thanks this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    C12...what gears out back? 38k, 40k or 46k? You should still be able to find all of this by using the VIN.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What’s it look like on the dyno?

10. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    How much money we talking for this truck?

What was the dollar amount on the rebuild?

Looks like this D&D deals a lot in used motors. You sure it just didn’t get s transplant ?

11. 2021 truck

May 12, 2021
    30,000....9,000 for the motor. Plus new turbo and air compressor

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.