'97 FLD 120 front speakers in upper counsel

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mizdageeragn, Mar 11, 2012.

1. mizdageeragn

mizdageeragn Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    almost there
    Has anyone upgraded or replaced the front speakers in this model truck? My problem is getting to the speakers...do I have to drop the entire upper counsel to get at the dumb things?:biggrin_25510:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Yes, unfortunately. We did this on our 01, and there's no other way to get to them. Lots of screws to remove to. Sorry its not better news for you. :biggrin_25513:

4. Hotrodz

Hotrodz Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2011
    If your going to replace them with factory then yes, but if you bought aftermarket
    they screw in from the outside . Sounds crazy , but I just smashed them with a hammer took out the factory and then screwd in the new ones with the outside cover .

Bob's Buzz and SHC Thank this.
  5. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I replaced mine as well. Had to remove the headliner, center curtin track and the overhead console. While you have it all apart, I'd suggest replacing the rubber gaskets on the cab marker lights as well (flat-top models) as it is a million times easier once you have all that crap removed, and add some silicone to the inside of the wire openings for the lights, that way you can stop any leaks you have. Also make sure you have a good set of bits and a fully powered drill to remove all the screws

Lastly, good luck and don't misplace the million screws that hold it all together.

donkeyshow72 and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  6. Clasix1055

Clasix1055 Even when I'm wrong I'm right

Jan 26, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    Lol I have been looking at my 02 Classic not wanting to tackle that job, but my speakers are clearly garbage, think I may try the smash and grab

Oldironfan, SHC and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  7. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    It's a real pain for sure, as I did it on my 93. The smash idea would work most likely, unless you cracked the housing, then it would look like crap. Put the best quality speaker in that you can stomach price wise as well, so you won't have to do it again. Rubber surround and poly cone would be the least I'd do, and it's tough to find the size these days, so plan on going to a car stereo store, not a Best Buy or their ilk.

bullhaulerswife and SHC Thank this.
  8. Unclegrumpy

Unclegrumpy Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Hammers and truckdrivers are never a good combination, remove the headliner, make sure the speakers you buy will fit, you feel better for doing the job right.

2fuzy and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  9. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I believe the one's they are talking about using the hammer with will mount on the outside opening and have a mesh grill to put over them, so you really would not be able to tell anything happened.....hopefully

10. Clasix1055

Clasix1055 Even when I'm wrong I'm right

Jan 26, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    Changing my name to Thor :biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525:

Oldironfan and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  11. donkeyshow72

donkeyshow72 Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Are these speakers 4. Inch

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.