98'10speed change to 13sp

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by CleverNDGuy, Jun 10, 2018.

1. CleverNDGuy

CleverNDGuy Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Bakken Basin
    I'm looking to acquire a 98 fld that has a 10 speed transmission. Is it even possible to have it changed over to a 13 speed? If so what else is necessary for it to be right?

I'm only asking because i heard it being talked about.
    Also what is a an high and low estimate

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Again I am not a mechanic. Many 9 speeds can be converted to 13. But a 10 speed cannot be converted. You would have to replace the trans if you wanted to go from a 10 speed to a 13

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Anything is possible. A 13 is longer I'm pretty sure so you'd need to have your drive shaft shortened. Also if you just plan to purchase a 13 without a like core expect to pay a large chunk of change

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    To begin with what model of ten speed are you talking about?

Bean Jr. and Tug Toy Thank this.
  6. CleverNDGuy

CleverNDGuy Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Bakken Basin
    Excuse my ignorance but I thought I could get away with a couple generic question to see what my limitation are but. Now I know I can poop can the 10 to 13 conversion and just aim for a 13 speed or plan on having one installed.so now the research for that .

I don't have a model to give you since I'm only in the research stages and haven't acquired anything just yet.

Thanks for clearing this up for me guys .wish me luck.

7. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    you can put a 13 speed in, your have to change the entire transmission you cant convert a 10 to a 13. and shorten the driveshaft. plenty dooable its just money. lol

8. lastgoodusername

lastgoodusername Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    central NC
    What he said. Driveshaft will need to be shortened, new splitter on gear stick, look around though. i found a shop that took my 10 in for a core against a 13. Not often do you find it, but it is possible. I would also strongly consider a new clutch, flywheel resurface, rear main seal, pilot bearing, and new motor mounts. Also do your research on your yoke, as you don't want that to hold up the procession. Don't forget the new tranny will be empty, so you will need a 5 gallon bucket of , I suggest synthetic gear oil. That should about cover it. Hopes this helps and not deters. You will be much happier in the end.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Personally I'd just run the 10 speed until it craters and then put a 13 in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.