'99 379 rear airbag height.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by K&A Trucking LLC, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    You should be able to play with the leveling valve and set the height wherever you want. I set mine at 13'6 1/2 when pulling van trailer. Reason it's not set at 13'6 even is I have tall rubber so I need the extra 1/2 in for trailer clearance over tires. If you loosen the retainer nut on the valve arm and it doesn't release air out of bags then the valve is busted. Also if it has been cold in your area they have a tendency to freeze up, sometimes once they freeze they do not work properly ever again. They are mostly constructed of hard plastic, if the plastic cracks or warps they don't let air flow through them anymore.

K&A Trucking LLC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Air bags can be adjusted easily. But your heavy spec truck might just might sit too high for a van.
    Don't take a mechanics word for the ride height.
    I had a new leveling valve installed at Council Bluffs IA Peterbilt. The mechanic had it jacked up. I backed out of the door and immediately adjusted it down.
    They worked on alot of 379's there and do 90 percent of the work right. I just took care of it myself.
    My terminal was right up the road. Went there if I could.

4. K&A Trucking LLC

K&A Trucking LLC Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Exactly.

5. K&A Trucking LLC

Jan 6, 2016
    I'll do that. Mine has a solid leveling rod, I will just have to change it out to the one that has the holes, like Plumbers tape.

6. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Can't you rotate the valve itself? Mine has slotted holes so you can rotate the valve. That changes the height. I had the solid link for years until the rubber rotted out so bad it had to be changed. When you set the ride height. Set it at the back axle. Then check the front axle for clearance to the frame and how much travel you have before it bottoms out on the frame.

K&A Trucking LLC Thanks this.
  7. K&A Trucking LLC

Jan 6, 2016
    No, mine has the solid linkage currently. I bought the slotted one this morning.

8. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I meant where the valve bolts to the frame bracket. It should be a good sized L shaped bracket that hangs off the left frame rail.

9. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    You adjust the valve itself. There should be a nut on the arm coming out of the valve, loosen the nut then adjust the platic piece behind the arm up or down, then tighten the nut back up

10. Hollywood2317

Hollywood2317 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2020
    Mine is doing the same thing. I know what your talking about and everyone's comments are not answering your question. The back airbags are aired up more than front. Only one leveling valve exist. The frame angles down in the front. Does not set level. Front spacers are correct and good springs. With air suspension dropped only front drive sets on rest and bottoms out shocks while back axle looks like it still is aired up, but bags are deflated and soft and sets about 6 inches from resting on stops. Like back is jacked teter totting on front axle. Throwing the rear driveline out. Put air to it and both air up but not as much on front axle. Torque bar on back sets horizontally while front sets at an angle do to steer dropped down. All airbags are same. Confused! Help

11. 650cat425

650cat425 Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    Forgive me if I missed you saying it, but what suspension do you have? Air leaf, air trac, or...?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.