A basic question for all truckers; what is the best truck or truck brand?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by morjon96, Aug 27, 2022.

1. morjon96

morjon96 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2022
    With my very limited knowledge on trucking in general, I would like to know as much about my primary equipment as possible here while also learning how to drive in school. From my understanding of the popular brands in America. The Cascadia is the best all rounder in terms of price and quality. Plus it appeals to both businesses and owner operators. They are the most popular brand in terms of mega carriers like Walmart and Amazon. Volvo and Mack though share the same component usually falls into the category of brand loyalist. Where they don’t have much of the market share in America but elsewhere they do. In terms of reputation Mack has been an American Icon for some time though that changed in the 80s and they have been known as the “workhorse” of the Truck brand. While Volvo brought Mack because their trucks are not as successful here as it is elsewhere. In terms of quality they are on par with the freightliner with few improvements and same goes for Mack. The last one is Peterbilt and Kenworth. Both have the same parts but both reach different audiences. While Kenworth is focusing on the business side of trucking, providing small carriers better trucks at a premium price. Peterbilt focuses more on the owner operator front. I don’t know, this is a guess on my part and would love to know if my assessment is right or it needs improving.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    I appreciate you for not bringing International in the conversation and have most of us cringe.

4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    These days truck manufactures have to put out a good product if they expect to not only sell it but get repeat buyers, the large operators like Swift, JB, Schneider, Bison will particularly get the attention of truck builders as they annually purchase hundreds of rigs, sometimes it just comes down to which particular dash and cab you like best as most have a decent motor in them basically with the same options also for gear boxes and diff ratios.With the larger companies it might just be about which manufacturer offers them the best bulk purchase price. For individual buyers its more about comfort, and ease of operation, as said previously most have the same options when it comes to gear boxes and engines so its just a matter of which brand builds the best cab. If there were multiple brands which I liked what would end up making me decide would be who offered me the best price. :cool:

5. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    You probably should of atleasted mentioned Wester Star and dropped Volvo completely out of your subject matter

6. Keepforgettingmypassword

Keepforgettingmypassword Heavy Load Member

Jan 11, 2022
    I think Peter built is the new work horse. They can pull every thing a cascadia does and almost everything a western star does.
    I heard some where the western star are for constant heavy loads like logs and such

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    They are all the same, it is the driveline that matters.

8. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Never knew Freightliner was known for quality.....

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Its subjective really. Trucks are tools and are purpose built to do a specific task. A dryvan spec truck of any brand wouldn't last a week out in the oil patch or the bush. It'd get shaken to pieces.

On the flip side, a truck built to handle a beating in the bush would be extremely overbuilt for general freight. It'd be much harder on fuel and so heavy that you'd never be able to scale the same loads as a highway spec rig.

Brand really means nothing. You can get just about any truck built to handle whatever you need it to do. Trucks aren't like cars where you get 2 or 3 powertrain options. You can literally spec just about every aspect of a truck the way you want it. Suspension, frame rail thickness, engine, transmission, axle ratings, gear ratios, lockers, driveshafts, steer axle/steer tire rating, etc. Literally dozens of combinations. You can get a Cascadia built to pull a dryvan at 80k lb gross weight on the highway and you can get one built to pull 140k lb super b's through the mountains.

Woodys, Tb0n3, snowlauncher and 6 others Thank this.
  10. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I always liked Cascadias. Drove several Petershakers and a couple Kenworth. And a Volvo that was a real nice truck till it got beat to death by other drivers.
    B9B31FD2-F2FB-46C0-8B10-AA00369291BD.jpeg

11. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Do you know what a Frightliner and a Jehovah's witness have in common ?

You can close the door on a Jehovah's witness

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.