A/C clutch plate eaten by pully?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Arctic_fox, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    So i was going up 64 in VA and my AC cut out. Stopped to get fuel and check on my compressor incase it had gone bad and found something i have never seen nor heard of before. Namely this.

20210724_155733.jpg 20210724_155738.jpg

Im going to assume i want to get that off so it doent burn up my pully, but i also dont want to wail on it with a hammer for obvious reasons. If i take that bolt off am i going to be in trouble? or should i just cut it (it being the clutch plate) off and work it out?

Ive never even heard of something like this before so im pretty stumped and dont want to pull stuff apart on the side of the road until i know i can put it together again.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Team818

Team818 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2019
    It looks like shop time. Breakdown service. Or both. Maybe they can fix it where it is? I hope so.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Take the belt off and see if the pulley turns freely. You might get lucky and just be able to chisel that clutch off and get down the road.

Rideandrepair and Team818 Thank this.
  5. Arctic_fox

Sep 16, 2016
    Still turns freely luckily just gotta pull that peice off before the last of the material wears off and bad things involveing major repairs happen.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Hard to tell not being there in person but it almost looks like your compressor seized up, which in turn burnt the clutch up. The shaft the clutch plate attaches to looks like its crooked in relation to the plane of the pulley. If the A/C pulley still spins ok and isn't rough or loose you might get away with what ProfessionalNoticer mentioned to limp it for a couple days.

Another possible option is to see if you can buy a shorter belt and eliminate the A/C compressor completely. You'd have to follow the rest of the belt routing to the letter and hopefully there's nothing impeding the new path the belt would take.

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Looks like belt slipped off and fell into the clutch itself? If so pull it out, or cut off excess, whatever it takes. If it’s jammed, new belt should eat up or melt down any existing belt left.Just try to pull it out. If it’s stuck cut off the extra, new belt and it should be fine. Maybe when clutch engages and disengages, it will fall out.

8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Could try to carefully pry it apart, or jam something in the gap, while cutting old belt out. A hacksaw maybe?

9. Arctic_fox

Sep 16, 2016
    Used some wire cutters and got it worked out. pullu still looks like it turns freely though im unsure how long it will last, spindle looks unbent or only very slightly so. So im going to limp it the 30 miles to the pete dealer on monday and get it swapped before it fail fails or throws a belt. Glad i decided to check the compressor. Going to suck to pay at least a grand as paccar only sells the unit as one peice.

Oh well at least my ac should be ice cold afterwards i guess?

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Why not just slap a belt on it. See what happens? Probably just got loose. Check tensioner if equipped.

11. Arctic_fox

Sep 16, 2016
    Belt never came off. Im more worried that if the clutch came apart that their may be internal damage that may cause it to throw the belt down the road. I know it will be fine for a bit because it drove about 40 miles till i could pull over like that. So im pretty sure it will make the dealer thats 30 miles down the road. Considering my history with this truck.....im not taking chances on letting it go.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.