A.C. compressor problem

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jeffman164, Jul 19, 2019.

1. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Compressor is one year old. Used about 10 times since -no exaggeration. A.C. not working . Curious because I was told this and want to verify before buying a new compressor. When I manually spin the compressor I was told that you can hear the suction sound from diaphragms opening and closing . True or not true? I don't hear anything but the pulley spinning .When attempting to charge , clutch does engage.
    New compressor ,condenser o rings one year ago.
    Blew lines and new air dryer one week ago .

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The pulley will spin freely, you have to put a wrench on the center bolt, then you’ll feel compressor effect. If replacing, always turn it by hand , with a wrench on center bolt, about 10 revolutions, before charging it up. To lube internal parts.

4. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I would rule out low and high pressure switches, fuses,coil temp sensor, and anything else particular to your make of Truck. Compressors usually lock up, or leak, when bad. If it rotates, chances are it’s still good, as long as front seal behind clutch isn’t leaking.

5. jeffman164

Dec 4, 2012
    Don't quit understand. Center bolt of pulley spins same time that I spin pulley. But again, I don't hear any diaphragm sound at all.

6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    what did the gauges say

7. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You have a leak, All that you tested for is no good without a/c gauges and a leak ck without a full charge of freon in system comp. will spin easy

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t think your going to hear any noise, with lines hooked up. Normally center bolt, and center of clutch Will be stationary, while outer pulls spins in idler mode. Once clutch engages it all spins together, thus turning the compressor.Maybe the clutch is locked up. We could guess at all day, a little more info on original symptoms, might help. Did it just quit? Does it run at all. Have you had it vacuumed down and properly filled, when you replaced the o rings? Why did you clean lines? That’s only required after a failure. If it’s not working at all, and you have switches on the air drier, maybe one is bad. Sometimes you can unplug them and jump the plug with a paper clip. To check switches. Be careful, as I’ve heard doing so can damage the newer systems. Supposedly. I’ve done it plenty, to test a low pressure switch, even ran for a week with it jumped.Dont leave HP switched jumped very long, as you’ll blow a hose or ?

9. jeffman164

Dec 4, 2012
    1999 International. All hoses , electrical and belt is disconnected to compressor. Compressor belt pulley spins freely and no diaphragm noise at all. Clutch pulley spins also but separately . After company vacuumed down , they could not fill past 1lb . My system takes 4 1/2 lbs. Could not detect leak. When they were attempting to fill , clutch did engage.
    One day A.C. worked - next time (months later) it didn't .

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Only time I had that problem was when expansion valve was plugged up, sticking, too much leak fix, lol. Replaced both of them, lines etc everything but the evaporators. I wish I would have done them also, as it’s impossible to flush them completely. same with condensors,Rail/ fin design not a closed loop.Sometimes you can get lucky flushing them ( expansion valves, or by hitting them, ( longshot ). Sometimes turning on and off, will free them up. Mine were bad, although when I took old ones out, they looked clean inside, like new. Little needle gets stuck, they’re toast. If there’s trash left anywhere in the system, usually evaporate or condensor, after flushing, they’re likely to plug up again. Same when replacing compressor, if not flushed ( at least the lines) good, new compressor won’t last long.

11. jeffman164

Dec 4, 2012
    So with what I said about compressor, does the symptoms sound like it is toast ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.