a/c issue not seen before

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jazzedman, Feb 15, 2019.

1. jazzedman

jazzedman Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Got a 2000 Sterling in the shop, a/c had leaked out, pressurized system and found two leaks. Fixed both, found some metal in the orifice tube so replaced compressor (along w/oriface tube and accumulator) and flushed system. charged system. compressor kicks in, gets nice and cold (34*) but the compressor does not cycle and the low side is in retard. wondering what my issue is. checked evaporator for fins being plugged with ####, its clear. anybody come across this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jazzedman

jazzedman Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2019
    low side is so high it's in ReTaRd.

4. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    If the low side is high and the compressor does not kick off then the pressure switch is not working, it should kick off the compressor if the pressure gets too low or too high; sometimes there are separate switches for high and low and sometimes one switch handles it all.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Pressure switches are generally pretty cheap. If I'm replacing a compressor, etc. they get changed too.

RET423 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Yep high pressure switch.

7. jazzedman

jazzedman Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2019
    The first leak i found was the high pressure switch leaking through one of the pins. So it was changed with everything else. Did not change the low pressure switch.

So maybe my low pressure switch is bad then? Will try that first thing Monday morning.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    If compressors working low pressure switch should be good. On mine I can unplug high pressure switch and the compressor shuts off.A break in the wire to switch can cause a lot of confusion, replacing switches. I have a few spares. Lol I would suspect a plugged orifice, or expansion valve if you had one. Condenser and evaporators are nearly impossible to flush completely. Trash finds it’s way back and eventually eats up compressor.In line filters are available, an option to keep from going through compressors.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.