A/C Question

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Boardhauler, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    2017 389 Peterbilt. The air was was not blowing very cool, so I asked our alcohol pickled, psychopath mechanic to look at it. He added refrigerant, now it's cold, but the engine fan cycles all the time, even going down the road with the coolant temp down around 180 or 190.

He says this is not that abnormal, I'm causing it by setting the A/C temp too cold. I think it is abnormal and is a contributing factor to my fuel mileage dropping from 6 to 5. I think there should be enough air going through the condenser @ 60 MPH for it to do its job without the fan coming on..

Any thoughts?

Rideandrepair and frito bandito Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Going down the road under normal operating temperatures on a hood, the fan should never come on. In traffic, yes, idling, yes, and even then the fan shouldn't be on all the time.

There is a triple switch at the expansion valve. Mine was the same way. Fan stayed on. Replaced it, fan is off.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Normally the fan should only cycle on really hot days at slow speeds such as rolling thru a toll plaza.
    Usually on a hot day you hear the fan roar as you up shift thru the gears and then finally turn off as you near high gear.
    The only time I have seen your situation is a hot day and a system over filled with to much refrigerant.
    To much refrigerant causes excess pressure in the condenser and the high pressure switch triggers the fan to come on excessively.

Rideandrepair and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    If it’s hot outside, prolly will cycle more than usual. Mine did . And it does get annoying. I just turned the AC off till the fan kick off them turned it back on.

Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Too much refrigerant will cause this also.

7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    It causes high pressure switch to engage fan.

Rideandrepair and swaan Thank this.
  8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    That’s why I prefer to go by the eye glass on the dryer, bubbles gone.... it’s full.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.