A company called givens there in cheasapeake va

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by lyion, Feb 6, 2008.

1. lyion

lyion Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2008
    TOANO VIRGINIA
    any one no a bout a company called givens there in cheasapeake va

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bonesy

Bonesy Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Tonawanda, NY
    What do want to know?

4. lyion

lyion Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2008
    TOANO VIRGINIA
    i live in a small town called toano its just a few mins. from bush gardens. i wonted to no what the company is about ,what do they haul where do they haul to what is there pay . are they doing any hiring , for long haul, are regional .i have 16 years experience driving . i am going to be looking at companies that are hiring come around mid June and would like to drive for a company that's not half way across the country .Ive been a owner operator and company driver . any information first hand not gossip would be aprecated .

5. Bonesy

Bonesy Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Tonawanda, NY
  6. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    zounds! I'd be nervous doing that in my car!

How much head room do you have (that is, room ahead of the truck)? can you back straight in, or is it an angle back?

7. Bonesy

Bonesy Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Tonawanda, NY
    It's an angle back on a one-way street. Sometimes cars try to get around you by driving up & over the sidewalk. You've got to use all of the space available and not hit the building on the other side of the street too. Obviously it can be done, but it can take a bit of manuevering. I have worked up a sweat doing this. Fortunately you only have to do it once in awhile.

8. lyion

lyion Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2008
    TOANO VIRGINIA
    hi there ,just wonted to say i use to do that all the time when i picked up rolls of paper at the mill in plymouth NC i had about 10 inches on each side of the mirror and it was dark backing in to the dock ,did it some times 3 or 4 times a month to pick loads up going out west .they produced only a certain kind of paper at that part of the mill.and i read your answer about givens . one thing if you have years like i do driving a truck for a living and take a few years off .don't you think that you could get back behind the wheel and drive a truck just like you use to ride a bicycle when you were a kid ,if you went 30 years and hadn't been on one and one day you sat down on one and peddled it do you think you would be OK or fall down on the ground ,you'd have fun ridding wouldn't you ,you wouldn't fall down. when i heard you say all drivers haft to go with a trainer for 2 weeks at least i was shocked .Ive got a million miles may be a little more under my belt and i'd be dammed if i was told id haft to ride to show some one more in likely has not any where near the miles on the road as i that i can handle a truck .id say See ya really quick.now if you wont me to take the truck down the road a few miles ans see me drive that's fine. but i wont go out with a trainer as you say all who wont to work at givens . i tried to find out info on there web site all they have is a phone number ,its like they are really finicky about what they pay and all information about them with out calling them up . oh i think you said this was the first company youve ever driven for am i correct? only 1600 miles a week is very bad miles at .35 a mile oh and you said you get stop pay ?on every stop or is it after the first 3 or 4 ,and lay over pay you didn't say how much,? id like to no these things .,wouldn't wont to think a bout a company with out knowing what you really are payed for and what your not .i got burned a few time years a go because i took it for granted that company's care about there drivers and pay them for what they had driven .these are things every new driver or any driver needs to no about what there getting in to best by drivers currently working such as your self. i ve seen drivers out on the road get promised $1200 a week and get out on the road and after taxes bring home $4oo a week some even less .unless you live with your parents or have no home of your on you cant servive on that little amount unless you spend it all to survive living in truck stops . jb hunt ,swift are like that .oh one other major thing what is the trucks speed set at ,? also some companys make you give them mony incase you are in a reck to cover part of the coast ,some even if your not at faulght will make you pay also one comany in richmond va a company called abaline .so its good to get the scoop on what company policys are and all info small and big thing .the more you no about a company the more your informed to make a desion is this the company for me .more info about the company would be most welcomed .lyion

9. Bonesy

Bonesy Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Tonawanda, NY
    lyion,
    Just call 'em and talk to them. If it's not right for you you'll know it. I was fresh out of school when I signed on and had to do 3 runs including the stop in Brooklyn before going solo. With all of the miles under your belt, it could be different. It's up to the trainer to cut you loose. We stayed in a motel every night we were out because there's only 1 bunk.

Stop pay is for every stop made as long as you don't only have 1 stop. Layover pay is based on an hourly rate x 8 hrs. Tractors are governed at 68mph. 9 speed transmission.

I think I've provided enough info here for anyone to make a decision as to whether or not they should give them a call for more details. If you haven't called them yet, and need more info, just call 'em. I'm not a recruiter, just a company driver that is having a good experience working for Givens.

10. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2009
    virginia beach, virginia
    I you drive in any city in the north east you can expect that kind of dock situation. After a couple of times it's easy. You just have to be careful. Remember the ruel "if you don't know whats in back, get out and look".
    John

11. L_BOOOGIE24

L_BOOOGIE24 Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2010
    CHESAPEAKE VA
    hey bonesy quick question. You say you are having a good time with givens right?? So does that mean you are getting 2700 miles or more a week & they start'd u off at 40 cent a mile or more?? Caise i dont want to be broke or feel broke when i get my check & after taxes i'm left with 200 dolllars. That sounds just dumb to me yoou feel me??

l_booogie

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.