A Couple of Questions re: Hiring Process

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by Leviathan Tube, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Leviathan Tube

Leviathan Tube Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Georgia
    Hi all,

Next week I'm scheduled for a road test, drug screen, agility test and whatever else they do at that time. Will Superior have me take a physical as well?

If if those things go well, I'm brought to my next question. At what point is one considered hired? I saw another thread in which it was stated that one isn't considered an employee until after training is complete. If that's true, it sure does make leaving a current employer a difficult situation. How can one leave a job without being sure he has another lined up?

Any insights on this? Were any of you given any documentation along the way that confirmed SC's plans to hire you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yeah that's a minor problem. How about giving 2 weeks notice traveling to another city 800 miles away doing orientation then getting sent home for some mickey mouse reason ? Any trucking co, you're not hired until you get processed, which normally includes paperwork pre employers verification drug screen physical road test etc. Even then you're probably on 'probation" for 30-60 days. Good luck.

4. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    They will probably want you to see their DOT Dr for med card. This question is best asked to the terminal manager. If they set you up with a trainer you pretty much have a job unless you screw up real bad with him. They are spending money on you and paying you during training.

5. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Like wsyrob said, once you pass all that you're pretty much hired. Assuming you have a good attitude, you kind of have to work to not make it through training. I'm not sure where the "temporary" status during training comes from, but aside from not having benefits, you are treated the same as any other employee, aside from having to buy the terminal lunch every day of course.

6. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Terminal? I thought it was just the trainer. I been missing out on some food!

7. Leviathan Tube

Mar 21, 2014
    Georgia
    Can any of you tell me when you're driving test consisted of?

8. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Drove about 8 or 9 miles in a circle back to the terminal. As an entry level driver don't get too worked up about it, they're just making sure you don't hit anything.

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  9. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    I took SC's driving test recently, it was in a nice 10 speed Mack. I got in the tractor and then hooked a tank to it. Then I drove around for about 30 minutes or so. Put the tank back and then parked the tractor. They just want to make sure you can drive safely and are trainable. As for the other tests, I have no info on those since I'm waiting to do them.

10. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I bobtailed to a customer. Hooked an empty and brought it back to the yard

11. Leviathan Tube

Mar 21, 2014
    Georgia
    Well, I had my driving test today. I wasn't at my best...Sloppy shifting and a multi-attempt back in of the trailer to its spot upon return. Trainer was relaxed but said don't expect that from everyone. Got back to the terminal, TM wasn't there and trainer had to leave so they didn't get to talk about how I did. TM returned and told me the trainer had expressed some concerns on the road test log but no decisions could be made before they had a conversation. My other tests have been put on hold while I await further review.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed in myself.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.