A couple question about getting my CDL through a third part institute in South Carolina.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Swin9520, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Swin9520

Swin9520 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Ok so I want to change careers and get into driving trucks inSouth Caroline but I don’t want to go through a company to get the training I want to go the third part route that way I won’t be stuck in a contract. Anyone know any truck driver training courses around Spartanburg, Greenville, Gaffney, Landrum, etc.... and not Greenville tech. I need advice.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CAT76

CAT76 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2014
    NC
    look around for a community college.... alot cheaper

4. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which type trucking are you interested in. Some tanker companies have specific schools they hire new cdl grads from.

6. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    You're never "stuck".. Drivers are only "stuck" when they refuse or cannot pay for the training that they contracted to complete and pay for. This isn't slavery, indentured servitude or anything like that. Most of the time it comes down to cost and how long someone can go without a job. CDL training is what it is. the VAST majority of all of the school train to the standard of acquiring the CDL.. there isn't a nickles difference in the schools at that stage.. the continued training is OK if you have the time to complete it. Most tech colleges have people riding around or driving in specific areas or routes improving their rudimentary skills for weeks.. while those who attend the shorter CDL schools are out making a (small) salary applying their rudimentary skills in the real world... hopefully with a trainer who has at least a couple of months more experience than their student.

Aamcotrans and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. 94coupe

94coupe Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2017
    North Carolina
    Not far from me

8. Drive-by-Yogi

Drive-by-Yogi Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Memphis, TN
    I looked at TDI recently. With a price tag of ~$6k though, someone over there needs to do a competitor market analysis. Both cvta.org and napftds.org will let you do a search for schools in your area.

9. Gonzo1300

Gonzo1300 Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Sage is nationally accredited and not very far from you at all

10. Need4Speed

Need4Speed Light Load Member

May 8, 2013
    I'm curious as to why you're looking to stay away from Greenville Tech.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Gonzo1300

Gonzo1300 Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    My guess would be because it is an extremely long class compared to other places. I would have to go find the ad again but it was like 10 or 12 weeks long full time and more expensive from just Tri-County Tech. Tri-County Tech is south of Greenville maybe 35-40 minutes and it is $3,500. Greenville Tech starts at 4200 bucks and is over twice as long.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.