A day cab or sleeper and the successful o/o mistakes

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheres da $$$, Jul 21, 2018.

1. wheres da $$$

wheres da $$$ Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Good afternoon everybody I appreciate your time for reading and applying to this ad now I've been driving company for 5 years now thinking about the owner operator side I'm doing my research and taking it slowly I'm asking for successful owner operators that had the mistakes and what did they do about it to make it successful also I'm wondering about just doing local in Pennsylvania with the daycab as I see it there's plenty from Harrisburg Connecticut Massachusetts Etc

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you would still need to get some rest/sleep. it can be a bit difficult in a day cab to meet the DOT rules on that time. i ran from MA to VA weekly, in a day cab, but the company i worked for, paid for a motel. you on the other hand, will have to pay that out of pocket.i am not sure you will be able to do round trips and be at home before your 11 hours driving will be up. given that going into CT can be tricky with traffic, and it only takes ONE road accident, and you are at a dead stop for hours there.

might be better off in the long run to at least get a small sleeper?

4. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    I bought a daycab because I don't like sleeping in a truck. It has worked out well. Even for short trips, I always have a hotel in mind because traffic happens.

I run I-95 / I-85 MD to FL and and I-40 through Tennessee and the only time I've been in a jam was last week. I ran NC to MD and back. Coming back I was stuck in DC for two hours and then in Richmond for an hour.

I made it to NC and was planning on staying at Chex's Truck World hotel. When I got there, my heart sank. It's an abandoned truck stop in the middle of nowhere. Trucks still used it and cats- lots of stray cats. So, I was not alone.

10 minutes drive time left, so I couldn't go up a few exits. I tried Uber and Lyft but no drivers were in the area. My saint of a wife drove out and rescued me.

That's the only time I've had trouble in my day cab.

Hotels range between $40-$100/ night. SC is cheapest and Georgia is the most expensive. Hotels in Florida seem to have a lot of hookers and drug dealers going through. It's hard to sleep in Florida.Tennessee has the cleanest hotels with the friendliest staff.

kenn2632 and wheres da $$$ Thank this.
  5. wheres da $$$

wheres da $$$ Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Thank you for your opinion I plan on mainly staying local p a c t MMA ny-nj xcetera I do know there will be occasions where I have to get a hotel because of the shipper and receiver errors and traffic I'm okay with that a few times a week it'll be a write-off and I'm hoping that I can get situated with a few steady accounts that I know what the run is but your advice about getting a small sleeper doesn't sound too bad either

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    That's funny.
    Prostitution is legal in Nevada and it's a good quiet place to sleep. Go to California and it's the complete opposite, especially the small places.

7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I mean it can be done in a day cab but I sure as heck would want a napper in the back. Were in north east pa and most of the stuff we do allows us to get home at night but its always nice to lay your head down getting loaded/unloaded

stillwurkin and Dino soar Thank this.
  8. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Something about Florida... and, I guess Cali. The weather and beaches are great for the lazy and riff-raff.

whoopNride, Camelclutch and skellr Thank this.
  9. RSB34

RSB34 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2013
    ny.
    I personally would not own a daycab it limits you. You don't need a big bunk but I would have a bunk.

whoopNride and stillwurkin Thank this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Daycabs look cooler though!

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Pssht, ok! ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.