A different chain question.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by RollinThunderVet, Oct 18, 2018.

1. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Been searching and cant find the answer I'm looking for.
    Chaining for light snow/ice. Is there a big difference between chaining all the way across a single axle or all 4 outer tires on a tandam, with the interlock set?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I would say no. Some swear by 3-railers (duals) as being faster to apply to achieve typical requirements of "4 drive tires chained". Me personally, never learned how to install them where they would not break soon after install. I'm doing something wrong but never could figure out what. They initially sound good and quiet the first mile or two but then go to crap. So I request all 2-railers now. If you have certain rigs like old field and timber hauling rigs, they're great I suppose, but the typical OTR tractor? I think you're better off long term running 4 singles if you have a twin screw truck.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Yea I have no idea about 2 or 3 railers... the only time I've ever had to chain was with my last tractor. I had super singles on it, so I just chained all 4 tires.

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’ve only seen this happen twice, and both times it was in a situation where it was snowing heavily on top of an existing snow pack. The guys spun a little bit and when they did their inside tires (unchained) would just spin on the hard snowpack. That was 2 times since 2004, so it’s not something you probably have to worry about if you stick to the major highways.

Personally, 3 railers are faster for me, and I always had fenders over the front drive axle. But if you’re not running excess weight singles are obviously lighter and easier to handle.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  6. CraigInReston

CraigInReston Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    The more surface you have chained, the better the grip while on ice/snow. That's why when pulling heavy loads, you're better off using triple-rail chains. I'm sure many will disagree, arguing you'll have more weight per square inch, using singles. But the act of decent, not just climbing is also a main factor. Having the trailer as well as the tractor chained, is an important control factor while going down.
    If you're light, and on relatively flat ground, then I'm sure you'll get away with using singles. But I can't count how many trucks I've seen in the ditch, because the wind blew his (unchained) van trailer across icy roads.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  7. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Question for you. If it’s snowing hard , would you throw a set of 3 railers on the back drives and call it good for the truck?

8. Travelworld2067

Travelworld2067 Light Load Member

May 10, 2018

Hijacking thread friend. Ive never chained before how do you know if you have to full chain or just half

9. CraigInReston

CraigInReston Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Most times it's based on weight and grade. What are you pulling for max. weights, and what grade of mountain you're climbing. Ex: Pulling empty van on a 7% grade. You might only need 1 triple on rear drives or 2 singles (1 on each drive axle), with just a single on the trailer. If you were max.weight on same hill, you might want 2 triples (1 on each axle) or 4 singles (1 on each axle) and at least a triple or 2 singles on trailer.
    Problem with general fleet trucks... they usually only have an inter-axle lock. Where only 1 wheel on each axle is actually spinning. Put your chains on the spinning wheel if you only have 1 lock-up.

Travelworld2067 Thanks this.
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    That’s all I ever did.

11. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    3 railers on the the front drives give you the best traction for the least work. If you need more iron throw another set of 3 railers. Singles are for steers and drag.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  12. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Exactly right. You know it's bad when you have to chain the steer tires.

Rugerfan and okiedokie Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.