a DPF that never needs baking/blowing/cleaning/swapping

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by shatteredsquare, Dec 8, 2019.

1. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    I've had to do like maybe five total parked regens in 300k+ miles...truck never idles, it stays on the freeway, i use the engine brake any and every time the truck needs to slow down like my super trucker heros, and it's to the point now where I can have been running the PTO (1k RPMs) for an offload for like 5 or 6 hours straight, and as long as i can flog it for an hour or so afterwards the light never comes on asking for a regen. When it was newer around 150k miles, after even a 3 hour offload the light would come on asking for a regen, and when you'd drive off with it it would start cooking the absolute peanuts out of itself, you'd smell it a lot.

I'm tracking 450k miles is the average lifespan of a can, who also drives like a grandma and has had the same can for 600k miles without any problems? What kind of warnings does it give you indicating a baking/cleaning or swap is necessary other than more frequent requests for parked regens?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scoot 1971

Scoot 1971 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2018
    I've got 780k miles on my 17' DD15 and still on original dpf. Had it cleaned once at about 350k miles. There wasn't an issue, I just thought it was time to get it cleaned.
    Dpf sensor went wrong several thousand miles later. I was told by FL shop replacing sensor that it is not recommended to have dpf cleaned on this engine, only replaced with new.
    Still running with that filter and done nothing to it since that 1st cleaning.
    Very little idling and typically cruise at 67 with rpms at 1250.

Doealex and shatteredsquare Thank this.
  4. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    see that's exactly why i'm asking, 9 times out of 10 you go to give something preemptive attention that isn't a routine maintenance task and isn't a problem just yet and it ends up causing three other new problems you didn't have before

loudtom and Doealex Thank this.
  5. Scoot 1971

Scoot 1971 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Company we leased to own our truck thru,(now own), had a scheduled maintenance list that I was following. That is the reason as well as the reason stated earlier why I had it cleaned.

Like you, I can count on one hand how many regens this truck has done.

However, my apu literally just petered out on me. We may have to do some idling over the next 10 days until we get home and I can get it to Carrier shop.

6. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Run only on B5 stay off the B20 crap and a bottle of Lucas 'deep clean' every 10,000 miles.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    mitmaks Thanks this.
  7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    780k on 2017 truck ? are you sure?

bzinger and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I still have original dpfs on truck. 930k miles. I clean them every year.

shatteredsquare and bzinger Thank this.
  9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    You should buy a lottery ticket pal lol.

mhyn Thanks this.
  10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    My understanding is it Regen all day running down the road you just don't know it. The DPF is hot enough to keep burning the soot. A parked Regen is just because the soot has filled the DPF, because it not hot at idle. So they inject Diesel and light it on fire. That gets the DPF as hot as running down the road. It burn the soot off. On the newer Freightliners it setup it idle 6 hours before a parked Regen is needed.

11. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Might be a team running it, if it was put in service in 2016 it’s possible.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.