A few questions / Need advice.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by AlaskanDad, Oct 15, 2017.

1. AlaskanDad

AlaskanDad Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Looking for advice / options. Please excuse me for my typing tonight, I’ve been dealing with a headache and loads of chemistry homework. My. Brain. Is. Fried.

I am graduating college with an excellent degree, however, the industry in my location isn’t doing well and outside of my state they require most process operators to have a CDL. Although, some do not require such as the beer industry and a few select others.

As-much-as I want to find a job in my area (I am trying!), I do not have the funds to continue working for such a small paycheck after graduation. I need something to fall back on until industry turns around in my location, or I need to move to the lower 48 next summer.

I am debating selling my vehicle to afford CDL training next February to make myself more employable. The problem is how much it costs for CDL training in Alaska, and not many companies are willing to take you with no experience.

Anyways, I have a few questions.

1. I have a speeding ticket from earlier this year for driving 6mph over. I was actually passing someone driving under the speed limit and just as I lifted off the throttle a Trooper crested the upcoming hill (still within a safe distance). Never had a ticket before and decided to accept my fate rather than argue with him.

2. Does having bad credit effect training / employment in this industry? Wife was in an auto accident and lots of surgeries have been required. The hospital messed a few records up which hurt our credit. Our lawyer is trying to resolve this issues, but this could take a couple years.

3. Would it be better to pay for my own CDL training and hope to find a local job, or should I research a good company that will provide training?

Basically a CDL is probably needed for anything outside of my state AND would like to have something to fall back on until a prospect comes along that pays well enough to support my family while also paying down my massive student loan debt. Plus, as a bonus it looks good on my resume!

PS. My father drove for a few years after retiring from the military, I did have the opportunity to tag along a couple times and really enjoyed my time on the road with him.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Lynden hires new cdl grads and trucks between Alaska and the lower 48.
    Anchorage: 6441 South Airpark Place, Anchorage, AK 99502 • Seattle: 18000 International Blvd, Suite 800, Seattle, WA 98188
    They run ads for drivers all the time in Washington & probably do in Alaska.
    Trucking to Alaska since 1954!
    "Lynden Transport is the trusted leader for shipping freight to Alaska. Our network of service centers is the largest in Alaska and provides extensive coverage with integrated truck, marine and air services. We provide reliable freight delivery unequaled in Alaska."
    Main Hiring Locations:
    • Alaska
    • Pacific Northwest
    • Texas
    • Choose your company, route and schedule
      Whether you need a day shift to be home every night with your family, or a long-haul position so you can answer the call of the open road and adventure, Lynden offers a variety of options to fit your needs. We are currently looking for:
      • Local Drivers - home every day
      • Long-Haul Drivers - home every week
      • Driving Teams - partner up
      • Owner-Operators - be your own boss
      [​IMG]
      Main Hiring Locations:
      • Alaska
      • Pacific Northwest
      • Texas
      We are proud to offer:
      • Competitive pay and regular increases
      • Excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision
      • 401(k) retirement plan with employer match
      • Paid vacation and holidays
      • Modern, well-maintained fleets with state-of-the art equipment
      • Flexible schedules to accommodate home life, school or military duty
      • Long-haul or local (home every night) driving options
      • Ability to work for a variety of companies and expand your skills and experience
      • Ongoing training
      • Bonus pay where applicable
      • Employee Assistance Program - legal services, counseling and a variety of other services for you and your family
      • Special consideration for veterans and active duty applicants
      View our brochure to learn more:
      [​IMG]

*Other positions may be
      available, please complete our
      Driver Interest Form

4. AlaskanDad

Oct 15, 2017
    Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated. I am also researching Schneider and their Jet-Set OTR option, which seems interesting and would allow ample experience while being able to stay in Alaska.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Well, that's two companies that will hire you and won't have to relocate outside of Alaska; Schneider and Lynden.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  6. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Can't help but wonder why people even bother to go to college these days.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  7. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Just FWIW, speeding while passing is still speeding. There's no exemption to the speed limit for passing.

That being said, 6 over is pretty weak, especially since the margin of error for the radar guns was +/- 5mph last I heard. Tack on another +/- 5mph margin of error for the speedometer of your vehicle, and an lawyer might have been able to make a case. But then again, not everyone has money for a lawyer. Here in the land of the free, justice is reserved only for those who can afford to pay a lawyer.

Different companies have different standards for tickets, and even then they tend to still take it case by case. One might say no tickets in last 3 years and another might say no more than 2 tickets in last 5 years, &c. But if it was only for 6 over they might just laugh it off regardless.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  8. AlaskanDad

Oct 15, 2017
    Wouldn't have been bad if my wife had not got into an accident (not her fault). She is still recovering two years later and we have both come to terms she will always have problems now. The accident has cost near $500k in medical already and she will have many operations throughout the remainder of her life. I had to quit my job to care for her and my instructors were willing to work with me so I can remain in school. They recorded everything for the bad days and allowed me to make my own testing scedule - I am truly blessed.

Basically the program would've been free with grants, etc. However, we needed to keep a roof over our head and food on the table until she was stable enough to care for herself and the kiddos. I took out the maximum loans and applied for as many scholarships and grants as possible. I technically should've graduated a year ago, but got offset from having to withdraw a couple classes right after the accident, I feel way behind and needed to help her through her operations. Family first.

Did what had to be done to insure my family was taken cared for. We did not qualify for anything and the insurance company has been a nightmare to deal with.

Edit: Just encase people are wondering. No my job did not work with me and was better to leave on my own terms before being terminated. I had initially exhausted all FMLA in the beginning. With her memory loss, seizures and having a major spinal operation, plus two knee operations there was no way any job was willing to work with my erratic scedule. Even now it takes her hours to get out of bed on some days. On other days her seizures are bad and she is unable to function properly.

ladr and slow.rider Thank this.
  9. AlaskanDad

Oct 15, 2017
    Due to my last post and further research perhaps someone with experience can help out with one more concern.

Most companies appear to require one to have held a job for at least a year before applying; understandable. However, I am curious if there are circumstances that a company would look past? I am currently working and really happy to have returned, but as explained before I did have to leave my job that I was at for 2.5 years. My current job is in the same industry with a different company. So my total experience (unrelated to trucking) is 6-7 years with three different companies. I am also a college student and focused on family / college while my wife recovered for the last two years - so I hope being determined, committed, and "educated" (meaning proof of where I have been for a couple years without work), coupled with my excuse for not working would speak for itself and allow a recruiter to look past the 1-year requirement.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some on here didn't work for many years because either they just didn't want to, they inherited money and didn't work until it was spent, stayed home with a sick parent, was a stay-at-home dad, etc. and had no problem at all finding a trucking company to hire them.
    When you fill out an application, answer the questions exactly as asked; don't volunteer any information that isn't asked for.
    Some companies will want to know what you did for the past 3 years and some may go back 10 years. If an application asked your work history for past 5 years, don't go back 10 years.
    Former CDL-A drivers have to go back 10 years, but new cdl grads only go back as far as the particular company ask.
    From what I surmise, you were a caregiver, student, worker somewhere.
    You're OK, don't worry.

11. AlaskanDad

Oct 15, 2017
    Yes, was working until everything explained above. However, I am working again and currently in my last semester of college. I was / still a caregiver to my wife, but that is unofficial (not paid).

Thanks for replying! Starting to feel more encouraged.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.