A few test answers at DMV are wrong

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by waveform, Apr 9, 2018.

1. waveform

waveform Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2014
    California
    I won't go into all the mistakes, I have to get up to test in about 4 hours. But what is with all these websites on the net giving the wrong order of description regarding the shipping papers?

According to the 2018 California Commercial drivers handbook, it says on page 9-8 that: "The basic description of hazardous materials includes the ID number, Proper shipping name, hazard class or division, and packing group, if any, in that order." I quote.
    1. ID
    2. Proper name
    3. Class or division
    4. Packing group
    ... "In that order" - as the book says.
    But all these online test questions say the the proper shipping name should go first, as well as the DMV's test question.

I remember a few years back there were about two answers I had to correct the DMV on. I ended up getting 100% after I corrected them, but would have gotten two wrong if I had not. This a bunch of BS. You tell me after all these years, the publishers of these books can't get it right. This can cost people their jobs.

Also, page 9-2 it says, drivers of of hazardous materials must be trained and tested every 3 years, but then goes on to say, that drivers of controlled quantities of radioactive materials must receive special training, but never says for how long. Where are all these web sites getting the answer of 2 years? I searched this hazmat section of this book up and down 20 times, and I don't say anything that says 2 years. It says, "special training is needed", but doesn't give you the number of years.
    Three years is all it says regarding training for hazmat. If it says it somewhere else in the book, then it should not be on the hazmat endorsement test, because that test is only about that section.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It all sucks. But who you gonna fight???????

I took the haz test over and over and over on this forum. I thought i twas good to go. Went to DLD and failed. REtook and passed with 2 wrong.

Yep. I even marked down 2. On the first time. 3 on the second time.

I actually dropped the haz from license renewal last year. Added it back on 2 months ago thinking i might go haul oil for Flying J. Then decided i don't want to play in the mud. Work nights. Or weekends.

I'd really like to get back to weekdays around 11 hours. Like i had hauling dirt before the economy crashed.

4. waveform

waveform Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2014
    California
    Well, the first time I took the hazmat in CA, I passed with 100. But I'm kind of nervous reading some of the comments I'm seeing on the net in how they make it more difficult when you go to renew. I'm studying right from the book. But again, there are things wrong as mentioned above. How are all these websites getting the (order) in which you enter data on the shipping papers wrong? It's ID, Proper Shipping Name, Class or decision, and packing group. (In that order) I'm a propane driver, I can't fail. And here in California, you can't make enough to live driving anything but hazmat. This state sucks.
    There is no excuse for these test answers being wrong. The testing agency's need to get their heads out of their #####. People's jobs depend on it. Back in Illinois, they have testing centers just for truck drivers. You're in and out in 15 mins. Most of the staff were commercial drivers. Totally different world back there. If you show them the book where the answer is wrong, they'll fix it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.