A hit & run, was it a truck?

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by justice4dc, Apr 12, 2018.

1. justice4dc

justice4dc Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Brewster Man Found Dead May Have Been Unknowingly Hit By Truck, Police Say

I hope this is okay to post here. Just trying to get the word out after a lifelong friend was killed in a hit and run, possibly by a tractor trailer that does not know he even hurt someone.
    We attended the funeral for Daniel Crawford yesterday, after he was killed on I-84 by exit 2 in Danbury, coming towards NY.

Dan’s body was left in the right lane, and the evidence of where he lay still remains in the road. Dan was a long time friend, essentially family, and didn’t deserve to die this way. His family just wants answers.
    They deserve that.

The trucking community can help spread the word to check their rigs for any sign of impact if you were in the area the very early hours of Saturday 4/7/18, around 12:30-1:00.

The article has some details.
    Dan was out of his vehicle because he ran out of gas, walked to get a van with some gas to refill. He made it all the way back to his vehicle before this tragedy occurred.

For what it is worth, Danny was unidentifiable due to his injuries, and was identified only by his tattoos.

skellr, Lepton1 and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Unfortunately there will be little if any damage if Dan was already horizontal. Granted there will be a fair amount of blood on the underside of what ever truck. Not in the article linked was if Dan may have done a flat tire repair and may have been too close to the road.

My condolences to friends and family, death is never easy to take.

Lepton1, justice4dc and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  4. justice4dc

Apr 12, 2018

His car ran out of gas, and had just opened the gas cap of his vehicle. The can to refill was apparently laid next to the vehicle.

I don’t want to give too many details as to how the scene appeared after the accident in case his family comes across this, but there was a large mess and tracks leading from where he was found that appear to be the 2 back tires of a truck. It fades as it goes on, as would a tire if it were wet on one section- as it continues to leave marks on the pavement, they fade as the tire dries. Hope that makes sense. Unfortunately those tracks were extremely close to the white line, as in they didn’t move at all for the disabled vehicle. Maybe Dan didn’t have his hazards on but they never brought that up.

They keep using the terms “sucked up” under a trailer. I hope the driver is found, not to throw blame, but to allow the family to heal knowing this wasn’t a drunk driver or senseless person who just didn’t stop.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    There'd most likely be blood on the rim of the tire and other places. Blood doesn't remove easily,naturally when it dries.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  6. Rn8806

Rn8806 Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Scale right there at rest area west bound.cameras all over 84

Lepton1 and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  7. justice4dc

Apr 12, 2018
    Weigh station is in opposite direction, and apparently no cameras in this area since that would’ve solved this already I’d think! The only camera that picked anything up was the gas station that recorded him buying & filling up a canister with gas.

He was parked a good 40-50 yards from the actual exit and walked a long distance to the gas station and back.

Such a terrible tragedy.
    The family wishes more for it to be a truck than some jerk who didn’t stop. I don’t think any of us can truly heal from the devastation this has caused.

I wish I could post the photos from the scene, about 12 hours after he was found, but I don’t want the family to see those if they get a hold of this site.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I am thinking more likely a car or pickup. As those of us whom have turned commercial miles tend to move over away from those on the shoulder.

joesmoothdog and justice4dc Thank this.
  9. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    lovesthedrive and justice4dc Thank this.
  10. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    My sincerest condolences to you, and your friends family, and his other friends.
    The side of the road, broke down, or doing service, is becoming a more dangerous place to stop - daily.
    I have recently been considering giving up the roadside towing, just because of this downward trend.
    Feels like every day - it's more of a roll of the dice. From 1983 to now is a night and day difference.
    Anyway, hope you find the truth in this for some closure.

Lepton1 and justice4dc Thank this.
  11. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq

The bloody tire tracks will tell you the size of the vehicle. I've seen bodies ran over with distinct dually marks left on what was left of the body.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.