A little bad luck equals a new plan

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by smugglinggoods, Aug 24, 2012.

1. smugglinggoods

smugglinggoods Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Hi everyone
    Through a series of events I am thinking about coming off the road and starting a dispatch service. Just wanted some opinions on this. I know there have been some threads as I have read through them. Always have got great advice here and hope that continues.
    Quick back story for this is in December I had both my knees operated on as I have had problems for several years with them. Driving a truck was the one thing that got me the worst. When bent in the sitting position bones would run together and cause terrible pain. So I had surgery with knowing it may or may not help. Well it didnt help much. So maybe now I need to really think about quitting driving.
    Next piece of bad luck is I had a battery cable coming out of the battery box ark out and burned my cab up pretty bad. Insurance is covering it ofcourse but not sure I want to fix it. Maybe another sign to come off the road. Or maybe just taking my licks.

So anyway I have thought for a few years about setting up a service to try to help owner operators stay profitable and hopefully save them some stress. As I have had my authority since 08' and just recently leased to a company which I still find my own loads so I have a in depth knowledge of what it takes to keep loaded.

The advice I am looking for is cost for a service like this and opinions on attracting clients. I have researched other dispatch services and there pricing seems to be very different. My thoughts are just doing a flat monthly fee as I would like to attract and keep truck owners and build a relationship. The other option of course is a percentage of the gross and if I go that route I was thinking of having different tears of percentage depending the amount of gross. But again I like the idea of a flat monthly fee.

Please feel free to pick me apart on this and hopefully help me make a informed decision. I know from my personal experience a dispatch service probably would of made me more money and saved me a ton of time and stress.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hellraiser78

Hellraiser78 Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2012
    PA
    I think it would be a good idea. You should probably target owner operators. If you make this move you might want to look into becoming a broker also.

4. Tennessee Trucker

Tennessee Trucker Heavy Load Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Winchester,Tn.
    being a broker would be a big plus. Research that and see what it takes. The Dispatch Service is a good idea. I have actually thought about starting a Career Counseling Service for drivers.

5. smugglinggoods

smugglinggoods Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Thanks for the replies hopefully they will keep coming. Would really like some opinions on best way to go about this and what folks feel is a reasonable price for a service like this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.