A newbie question? To team or not to team?

Discussion in 'Covenant' started by bamalu, Aug 3, 2012.

1. bamalu

bamalu Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Alabaster, Alabama
    I will be starting school in about three weeks. I have some tell me to never team, that it can be a horror story. But I have a good many veteran drivers tell me that teaming can be your best way to start out mainly because you will sometimes have another set of eyes, and help, and that can be very helpful your first year out. I was wondering what some of you guys opinion is about this. Also the head dudes at the community college I will be attending had quite a feww good remarks about Covenant.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    With a decent partner,

it can be a good experience.

4. xtexasbabex

xtexasbabex Light Load Member

May 9, 2012
    whereever i want to be
    I'm going through ait school. then i will be going to covenant will let you know.:biggrin_25519:

5. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    it can be and the money is good for husband and wife other wise the money is going to seperate house holds.. with that said...

if you co driver is a slob it will suck for you... on the other hand if you both click it could be a great learning experience

6. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

i have posted on this before, now if i could just remember where...lol

teaming is HARD WORK....so is solo, HOWEVER you get to STOP and take your break...versus a truck moving down the road if you are teaming...

i think it would be best to be husband /wife....unless you are just THE BEST of friends..altho after teaming, you may not be...lol

it is hard to sleep in a moving truck...when the driver stops to fuel, etc, weigh stations, traffic, it tends to wake you up. also some of the roads SUCK...(I~10 in Louisiana for example)

they expect the impossible out of teams...no extra time for much of anything...hot meal etc..

you will be living in a box smaller than most peoples walk in closet..for weeks on end...its not like you can just up and go in the other room if you arent getting along.

money is better yes, but only if it is going to the same household.

even tho your partner can load/unload etc while you sleep and you can do the same...trust me...YOU DONT GET any rest...we haul produce and make multiple pickups...it is dang near impossible to rest while the other is taking care of stuff..

teaming IS NOT for everyone.

we started Team driving in 1991...til now...so yes, it can work....

tna Thanks this.
  7. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I find it enjoyable with the right company, miserable with the wrong company, and tolerable otherwise. The money & miles are so much better with a team too. As a (hard-charging) driver with 4-9 months experience, I was making $1000-1200/week teamed, but only $500-750 solo (with covenant). I'm looking forward to being teamed again on monday with a codriver that is returning from a leave (we got along great - same music, similiar humor & work ethic)

tna Thanks this.
  8. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    I can't sleep if the truck is moving you'll find out when your with a mentor if you can ! I would be terrible as a team .

9. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

if i was a trainer there is NO WAY i would team...i wouldnt be sleeping behind a newbie....

NWMAXI Thanks this.
  10. AlabamaDrivin

AlabamaDrivin Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2012
    B'ham, AL
    Im from the Alabaster, AL area as well and am starting school at TDI on 8/13. I have been wanting to ask these questions as well. Anybody have input on jobs in Alabama?

11. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    There's SOOOO MUCH info in this forum about teaming.... Just do a search here about TEAMING... you will need time to read it all. Many folks, including myself have posted a lot of info about their teaming experience. If you are a female, WATCH OUT.... BE VERY CAREFUL who you team with. Good luck to you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.