A newish Turbo on a C-15 6NZ blown

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by sloshed, Sep 16, 2019.

1. sloshed

sloshed Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi All

I recently bought a 2002 Pete with a CAT 6NZ58432 for the engine. It has 3.55 rears, an Eaton 18 speed and 701k miles on it. The CAT remanned turbo was put on 1.5yrs + 30k miles ago and the exhaust manifold is still the original stock one. No overhaul on it and 6 inch straight stacks.

Yesterday I blew that newish remanned turbo and there was quite alot of leaking oil and white smoke. I pulled over immediately but being on the side of the road loaded with 45k of flammable product I didn't look too much and just disconnected the line to peek at the turbo and saw the fans were indeed bent. I didn't risk anything else and called a tow immediately as the traffic was bad. I've not been able to look at the turbo anymore just yet and I'm trying to gather information before making the drive out there.

TBH this is my first time dealing with a turbo which is why I'm asking for any advice.

I am thinking that maybe the culprit to destroying the turbo was the exhaust sleeves / exhaust manifold? I'm currently thinking about replacing it with a PDI exhaust manifold as I read the CAT ones are just iron and not worth it at all compared to PDI. Is this wise or just a fools errand?
    I'm also currently planning on putting either a stock CAT remanned turbo or maybe a Borg Warner one but if the Borg one is an upgrade from stock then I'm not sure what all I need do to make sure it's done right. I've never gone outside OEM stock before.

I've heard this truck is basically already auto-setup for me to take it to 550 but I've read that if you do bump up the HP then you might have to repower everything behind it too depending on your setup?
    I'm wanting to do this right. I'm not out seeking the most powerful truck but moreso the best functioning truck + the best bang for my buck. Longevity is my number one goal here. Thanks for any insight. I'm all ears here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I don't have the 6NZ, but do have a 5EK and the borg turbo was a definate improvement, I did not change anything else though. I used the waste gated turbo, I think once I inframe it I will go to the non waste gated turbo for it, and get some more boost.

sloshed Thanks this.
  4. sloshed

Aug 5, 2013
    Interesting..are Borg turbos considered for a core charge in the future or do I need to keep the old Cat turbo?

5. sloshed

Aug 5, 2013
    where did u get the Borg turbo from?

I'm actually on the phone with PDI about their exhaust manifold...he is trying to sell me the turbo too but atm I can get a CAT remanned turbo for $1650 vs $2100 for a big boss stage 1 turbo

PDI is saying if I broke the shaft the old turbo might not count as a core and I'll have to pay a core charge...which if true I'll almost certainly go aftermarket..

6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    The borgwarner 177148 is a factory replacement 425-550 hp turbo. Its brand new and require no core.
    If you want a oem CAT turbo you need your original for a core. And cat is real fussy on cores . Also lots $$$
    Most guys just replace with aftermarket borgwarner or have there original rebuilt by a local turbo shop.

Oxbow, spsauerland, sloshed and 3 others Thank this.
  7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    That is the downside of them, cat will not take them for a core, so if a turbo goes out where another borg is not available, it gets spendy grabbing a new one from cat.

Oxbow and sloshed Thank this.
  8. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    There is no downside. Borgwarner turbos are available at many diesel shops . Wouldn't take long to get one.
    It's the CAT oem turbo that's spendy.

Oxbow, spsauerland, sloshed and 2 others Thank this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Not sure what you mean by exhaust sleeves causing turbo failure?

If you buy CAT reman, keep all the packaging and original box (and clean as possible). CAT typical will not accept cores unless they are returned in original packaging.

Oxbow and sloshed Thank this.
  10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Some earlier exhaust sleeves was prone for failure. It’s been said they come apart and take out the turbo. But supposedly, Cat had fixed the issue. I haven’t much at all about them failing lately. Only time you don’t need them is if you get one those performance manifolds. There ported the same diameter as the head exhaust ports.

pushbroom, Oxbow, spsauerland and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    @AModelCat, I’m sure you knew this. Your just testing us. :rolleyes:

pushbroom, sloshed and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.