A Noobs Business Plan.... or.... Working harder for less money

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NightHawk365, Apr 22, 2019.

1. NightHawk365

NightHawk365 Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2019
    North Idaho
    I celebrate my 22nd anniversary with my current company this summer. It's been a great gig, employee owned, good benefits and a good salary (85K/year in Idaho). Hell, I even get to work from home a lot of the year. It's a dream gig for most anybody, except that I am completely burned out on it. Have wanted to drive truck (specifically haul cattle), since I was a kid working on the ranch. As my daughter graduates next year, I am considering giving up the cushy desk job and getting in to trucking.
    To that end, I got my CDL (no school), bought an old Freightliner and set up an LLC. I also got my DOT number assigned, but stopped short of getting my own authority due to insurance costs. I plan to run exempt cargo (livestock) intrastate and within my 100 mile radius on a part time basis for now to determine if I really want to go this route.
    I already know I'm a fool for planning to work harder for less money, but I have to say that driving back from picking up my truck this weekend was the most fun I've had in years. Even busting knuckles to fix air leaks has been enjoyable.
    From reading lots of posts here, it seems clear that if I were to quit, even in say 2 years, that that part time experience is not going to count with a carrier to get hired. I also know that I need some time hauling vans/reefer before anybody is likely to pick me up to haul livestock.
    So, when everyone is done calling me an idiot for thinking like this, I'd greatly value any advice or input you might have on the situation.

Cheers!
    JD

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    tramm01 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Whoever told you you have to pull vans before anybody will hire you to pull cows is wrong, especially if you're going to own the truck. Within a 100 mile radius may be a bit of trick to pull off unless you know people though.

NightHawk365 and QuietStorm Thank this.
  4. NightHawk365

Apr 17, 2019
    North Idaho
    Thanks RD... I guess nobody specifically said that, it is just what I gleaned from reading a lot of the "self taught" driver posts. I figure to stay at my present job for 2 more years, and haul locally when I can. I know enough of the producers in the area to maybe pick up some loads hauling to summer pasture and back, hauling hay and maybe moving some roping steers for another guy. My "experience" will not be full time, so that is why I figured I have to haul vans for a while before the big boys would give me a shot.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I never had a load that moo'ed and stomped. But with that said, vans is not the thing to do to learn.

Im happy I never had a load that moo'ed and stomped making a mess of everything. But I sure took many a boxed cattle out as processed meat in a reefer. And even some hides as well by flatbed. (Best in winter, keeps the really big flies away.)

In my time those loads were ungoverned. When you see a cattle truck a-coming, you make room for him and tell him to come on through. Hes at 120+ and youre at 63 you do not want problems on that small little road.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    So hope your reserve is large, nothing sucks more than having an old truck that you just buy and you are on your tenth, twentieth or what ever load and have the truck crap out on you and no other way to get a load of livestock to the destination.

This needs to be planned for, not part time, not anything but solving a problem that comes up and needs to be acted on.

tscottme, x1Heavy, D.Tibbitt and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Ag hauling is one of the places "the big guys" don't have much influence of who gets hired, mostly because most of their drivers couldn't do it, so you can actually get into it without their schooling. Pasture cows aren't too big of a deal, they've usually done it a few times and know what's going on, it's the 400lb feeders that act like a giant flock of birds that scared me.
    What did you pick up for an old freightliner, is it 90s old or 70s old?

Idahojoel, NightHawk365 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. NightHawk365

Apr 17, 2019
    North Idaho
    I hear ya.... I've got a fair amount of cow savvy, but not much when it comes to feeders except riding feedlot a few times out in Colorado when I was in school... I guess I'd be jumpy too being in such tight quarters all the time..
    90's old. Its a 99 Century FLC112 with the flattop sleeper. 370hp Cummins M11, 10 speed. 700K on the engine, new transmission and clutch, new tires around and new ECM. It was a used truck we bought about 5 years ago as backup truck at the company I work for. It was rarely used, but the last go-round it had transmission trouble and thus all of the work was done. We bought another new Kenworth to have in the fleet, so this one got liquidated.

9. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    That little M11 might struggle a little if you get over 80k with a pot.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. NightHawk365

Apr 17, 2019
    North Idaho
    For sure.... Its certainly not ideal, but the price was right and I know some of the history, so it will do for now. If it all works out, I should be able to get my money out if it when the time comes to upgrade

11. Hotplate

Hotplate Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Man, trucking is the ultimate burn job: long hours, irregular shifts, nights/weekends/holidays spent in truckstops, pickleparks, deserted get-off ramps, etc (if you can even find a spot!). At least now you sleep in your bed at night and have a somewhat normal life. Alot of guys on the road would trade places with you in a heartbeat if they could !! And Cattle hauling, why that's the last of outlaw billy-big rigger trucking: large-car ungoverned dual-stacked Petes adorned with chicken lights as far as the eye can see!!. Dodging them scales and the DOT man, whiteline fever.....just toss that logbook in the sleeper, hammer down, and let them truckers roll, 10-4 !!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.