A preventable "incident" on my PSP....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by drivingmissdaisy, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I'm curious about how other drivers see this.

About a year and a half ago I was forced to do a 34 at a Loves in frozenville Ohio. The night I got there there was a blizzard and my trailer was first in the row from the direction the snow was blowing in so my trailer literally got buried. You couldn't see the trailer except for the logo on the front.

34 hours later I clear the snow away and pretrip the trailer. Everything looks good. I pull away and check my mirrors and see both sets of tandems on the front axle spinning normally. I turned slightly to the driver side to see the rear axle spinning as well. I couldn't do that to the passenger side because I would have hit a curb. I put the truck in neutral to see how far it coasts to make sure the trailer is good and it coasts normally.

I pull out onto the interstate and blow two tires on the passenger side in the BACK because they were not spinning. They didn't give any rolling resistance because it was an icy parking lot so they were just sliding.

I found out my past employer marked it as "preventable." I argued and argued with him today and he kept it on. I have a lawyer that will be calling me tomorrow about taking this a step further. My argument is that in a normal DOT pretrip inspection dragging the trailer around to check that the tires are spinning is not a normal pretrip item. The trailer passed the pretrip beautifully AND I even visually checked both front axles AND did the coast test and it passed both. In this case, I don't feel that frozen tires are the fault of the driver. Sometimes things just HAPPEN. If the item that failed is not DOT pretrip criteria then I would argue it's mechanical failure (brakes failing to disengage from the drum) and that's not the fault of the driver. It's not required that drivers put duct tape on tires or anything else. (good idea maybe, but not required) If it's not required it can't be the drivers fault. Its never happened to me before or since, even when I grabbed a trailer in 2 feet of snow that had been sitting there for 3 months. All 4 sets of trailer duals spun normally on THAT trailer.

What say you?

If anyone is wondering why I engaged the trailer brakes when I parked, I didn't. The air leaked out of the truck while I was sitting and so the brakes engaged on their own.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    tscottme, rachi and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    so question is. when are you going to claim any if not all owner ship in this. 2 tire and maybe 2 rims are a non preventable. you cost the company money. on something that could have been prevented. always build air up to at least 100psi. push in trailer knob. give it a few to equal out. the pull knob out. do this to truck brakes as well. i always do it a few times in the very cold or frozen times. i hook and unhook fifth wheel a couple times too. grease gets hard in the cold. im not busting your b$&&@. but at the end of the day. you drug the trailer. a proper and good pretrip would have prevented this.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    beastr123, kylefitzy and Doealex Thank this.
  4. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Blown tires are not an incident, unless you hit a curb and bend the rims as well, methinks. It all sounds like a silly waste of time. What mega-carrier POS pulled this on you?

supremegod, Mototom, rachi and 2 others Thank this.
  5. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    he drugged them until they blew.

spyder7723 and kylefitzy Thank this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Everything is a pre trip item.

Let's repeat that again. Everything is a pre trip item.

7. drivingmissdaisy

Jun 10, 2019
    .If that's the case then any mechanical failure you have is your fault.How is a driver supposed to see the tires on the BACK of his trailer spinning? Put the truck in gear and hop out and run behind it to check? I mean I did more than I saw anyone else do who left that day. Where in the DOT pretrip checklist does it say "Pull trailer to ensure all axles spin"?

And I'll keep the name of the company confidential right now until legal proceedings have finished. But it wasn't a mega. A 700 truck company. I guess you could call that a mini-mega.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  8. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    he's got his hand in the cookie jar and got caught. ownership is the first answer to anyones problem. its your fault. be a grown man or woman and own up to it. he wants to get on somewhere else. but this is on his psp report or dac. wants to point the finger away from the mirror

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  9. drivingmissdaisy

Jun 10, 2019
    I do not feel its my fault that my trailer had a mechanical failure caused by weather. That is not on me. And hopefully my lawyer will agree and I'll see my old company in court.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  10. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    so why you dont see this. is this hurting you from getting a another job or something. people damage stuff all the time. going to court and lawyer is a little extreme dont you say

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  11. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    You should sign up to be an instructor at some academy. The truth is, 90% of these lazy slobs that I witness everyday at truck stops and rest areas, DON'T PRE-TRIP for 1 second. So for someone to come in here all high and mighty and blame a driver for something so petty as trailer tires, that probably needed to be replaced anyway, is BS Assuming the OP is giving us the whole story. Ice and snow matter, and are an extenuating circumstance. If you really want to ruin someone's record over some BS, hang out any truck stop or rest area in any state of the union and yell at them for not doing any sort of pre-trip, see how far that gets ya bud.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.