A question about the DOT physical

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by bclajr1, May 27, 2023.

1. bclajr1

bclajr1 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2023
    I am interested in venturing into profession of trucking but, I am concerned I would be denied because of the DOT physical.

I partied too hard when I was younger and, it says I am a drug user on my medical records. I have not used drugs nor alcohol in over 8 years. Also, I do not have a criminal record of any kind.

I have tried looking into whether this flat out denies me but, I mostly find things about current truck drivers and drug use since it can be a stressful job.

Am I just out of luck venturing into this profession?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DixonM

DixonM Light Load Member

May 22, 2022
    You should be fine it’s just a pee test if you can pass it your good to go the past is just that the past .

4. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    HIPPA laws state that nobody can look at your medical history without your consent. The military and the FAA can snoop into your medical records, but unless you are an epileptic or have asthma, I wouldn't worry.

HOWEVER, if you turn back to drugs while driving, you'll find yourself in a world of hurt. Old tricks to pass drug tests (like drinking grapefruit juice..) don't work with better drug tests any more.

5. dave01282000

dave01282000 Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
    This. You specifically say medical records and not criminal.

I had a drinking problem bad enough to land me in the cardiac wing of a hospital for 40 hours because of a bad a-fib incident. I haven't had a drink in almost 2.5 years. Everything is on the table for my physical (including the additional meds I now have to take because of that incident) and there are no problems.

As long as you're clean now and can pass a whiz quiz on demand, nobody will bat an eye about past partying.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The doctor will only know what you enter on the DOT Medical Exam form plus possibly any major scars on you will need to be explained. Do NOT use any Concentra clinics. Also any comments you make about difficulty sleeping or any snoring will turn into a "demand" you get an expensive sleep study to get your medical card.

7. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    You have no worries. If you aren't doing them now, and can pass a piss test you are good. Hair goes back up to four months, some companies use that . Don't mention that on your exam. It's a new day.

8. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    If you are going to have a hair test, you may want to consider shaving yourself all over about a month beforehand....

9. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Think it would be better to just wait it out..sure does look highly suspicious to be clean shaven..maybe 6 months just to be safe.

10. Wendell_334

Wendell_334 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2019
    Tallahassee, FL

You're good. they only ask about illegal substances for the past 2 years on your DOT physical, check no move on. You've been clean 8 years no worries with hair or urine. I would suggest going to get a physical on your own before you go over to a company just to make sure youre good on anything else, blood pressure, sugar/protein in your urine, etc.

11. 2rescuekids

2rescuekids Light Load Member

May 25, 2023
    Get a DOT physical if you pass that you are ok.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.