A view of the Past, Vintage Photos

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by truckdad, Feb 21, 2015.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Pretty sure it's a 80's ish 4070B Transtar ll , possibly an Eagle. These were darn good trucks, Pumpkin had a whole fleet of these, 290 Cummins, 10 speeds. A friend bought one once, cheap, and made money with it. I drove one like this for a short time, it had that God awful Reyco spring ride, shiny 290 ( 300) and a 13 speed. I remember, it was real doggy going through the gears, but get 'er in the big hole, and that truck would do 65 loaded down and up. It was also the worst riding truck, aside from the Mack. Aside from the shaking, it was one of the few cabovers I actually liked. Sure backed in places easy. Nasty blind spot on the right side, it's why you always saw these with scraped right fuel tanks. It was these trucks that put IH on the map.

Tug Toy, not4hire, cke and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Then International did everything in its power to destroy its name .

shmuck359 and Tug Toy Thank this.
  4. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    We had 2 of them leased from Ryder around '82. 350 Cummins,10 spd, and that Reyco suspension you speak so highly of... Also the company owned a single axle Transtar cabover with a 335 Cummins and 10 spd. Something had been done to that old 335 cuz boy would it run! Unfortunately, seemed like the whole truck couldn't have been more than about 7 ft long so it was like riding a bronco!

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  5. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    Semi, did you ever get to drive one of these "pieces-O- sheet"? These were the absent father of those 4070's. I drove a few and can remember an old sleeping bag in the sleeper that one would wrap around their legs & feet to keep warm. And this was on the CA central coast.!!!
    emeryville.jpg

Tug Toy, cke, 201 and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Criminy, I'm not THAT old. The DCOF 405 or "Emeryville" was a bit before my time. While grossly underpowered, I heard many drivers liked them, better than the "Crackerbox" GMC. To be clear, it was the IH 4000 that predated the Transtar.

Tug Toy, booley, cke and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    IMG_20180808_143116_666.jpg

This old gurl sits in our yard. They move it once in a while to keep it movable.

8. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'll bet it has a 318 and a 10 speed. The slings hangin from the crane is where the last driver hanged himself when he was told he had to take it to the west coast with a 70 ton permit load. In July.

Tug Toy, Czar_Zero, not4hire and 6 others Thank this.
  9. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    I think I just fell in love!

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ha! Oh, it's not that bad. I bet it has a 238,( 1 stack) tube tires, manual steering, spring ride, wedge brakes, what's not to like? Typical yard horse, we used to put off telling the boss of any problems with our regular truck, because then we'd have to take the yard horse. That would be a long day. It was almost an incentive to be careful with your regular truck. Judging by the artwork, somebody at one time liked this rig.

Tug Toy, booley and cke Thank this.
  11. fast1buzz

fast1buzz Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2019
    colorado
    The owner of that unit use to live in the Pueblo Colorado area but moved down somewhere around Santa Rosa New Mexico. When the Pinion Truck Stop was still in business I would have coffee with him once or twice a month. That truck has been retrofitted with a Big Cam 400 Cummins and yes a 13 spd. I think he told me that the truck was totally rebuilt about 5years ago. He's a turkey farmer and raises and slaughters then takes them to Denver somewhere around where LONECOWBOY works. I personally have not seen him in several years. Thanks LONECOWBOY its good to see he's still at it with the same truck and trailer.

truckdad, booley and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.