Ablation For Atrial Fibrillation

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Big Don, May 19, 2014.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Ablation For Atrial Fibrillation

A bit of background here. Both of my parents died from coronary related problems. I am a lifelong smoker, and morbidly obese. Yes, I have quit smoking, many times. Yes, I have lost weight, many times. Obviously though, I’m too darn dumb to maintain a healthy lifestyle. My own fault and nobody else’s. . .

I’ve had a problem with AFIB since 210. Since March 0f 2011 I have undergone cardioversion five times. Actually, more than five times, just five separate incidents at the ER or cardiologist’s office. Of course prior to the electric shock, they tried stopping the heart with drugs, and then restarting it, in unsuccessful attempts to convert the heart back to a normal rhythm. There were two separate occasions where they had to shock me twice to get the rhythm back to normal.
    I’ve been on a couple of very expensive drugs to try to keep the rhythm normal, for over a year now, and without spectacular success.

The cardio docs tell me that a lot of people go through their lives with AFIB, and as long as they are able to tolerate it, and they keep on top of their blood thinner meds, they do just fine. The biggest problem here, is the possibility of a stroke caused by blood clotting in the heart and being pumped to the brain, which is the reason for blood thinners.
    However, I am not able to tolerate the AFIB. It just totally kicks my butt. Causes extreme discomfort, (I can’t really call it pain, most of the time,) in the chest, along with some light headedness.

So the cardio docs recommended a procedure that has been around for quite some time. I held off on it, because it would have meant traveling to either Vegas or SLC to get it done. However, my cardio practice hired a surgeon who has been doing this procedure for about 10 years. So I agreed to have it done.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/...ncy-catheter-ablation-for-atrial-fibrillation

So anyway, I had the procedure done last Thursday, was held overnight and released on Friday. I think I’m pretty much past the discomfort, which was a bit more than expected. Still not doing a whole lot, just pretty much taking it easy and walking, and I guess we will see where it goes from here!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Get well soon1

Big Don Thanks this.
  4. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    Not making a joke..But there seems to be an unusual amount of people this year having-for lack of a better word-problems.:biggrin_25511: "Baby-Boomer" ageing crisis or what?

I do hope that procedure helps ya out though Don..

Um...The only word I can pronounce in your title is 4. (for) :)

FloTheWaitress and Big Don Thank this.
  5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Yeah Bumpy. It's called getting old. . .:biggrin_25513:

FloTheWaitress Thanks this.
  6. 70s_driver

70s_driver Medium Load Member

May 4, 2014
    Yea and it happens a lot quicker than I prefer!LOL Good Luck Don

FloTheWaitress Thanks this.
  7. FloTheWaitress

FloTheWaitress Crusty Go Go

Feb 24, 2012
    Colorado Mountains
    Hugs and prayers Don <3

Big Don Thanks this.
  8. Bry

Bry Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Someone I know gets some AFIB when he eats too much of wheat products, like pizza. He wakes up in the middle of the night with his heart racing. Says it is scary. You might want to try cutting out all wheat and also research other foods that cause AFIB attacks. Just google: "foods that cause atrial fibrillation." He found that cutting out wheat helped a LOT. It is more important to stop what is causing it than to use band aids.

9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Actually, Bry, there are a lot of different causes of AFIB. But thanks.

10. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I was gonna put out an APB on you...Glad you're good?!?!....

Big Don Thanks this.
  11. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    Well that sucks;as I'm just behind you in.............######!!!! I KNEW SOMETHING was happening to me..:biggrin_25511:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.