About running with brights?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Rebel Patriot, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Rebel Patriot

Rebel Patriot Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I was wondering the general rule for using bright lights. I have been told to use my brights whenever I safely and legally could.

without being told what that actually means.

How far away does an oncoming car have to be before its a problem for them?

How soon - or far - after someone passes me can I generally resume using my brights?

In regards to oncoming traffic, how much does the angle of where I am in relation to their position matter? Does a wider median make it possible to use brights even when the distance is being closed by oncoming traffic?

thanks for any input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    An oncoming vehicle or vehicle in front of you must be a minimum of 600 m (2000 feet) away from you.

If you can see their headlights, I always turn off my brights. I'm super sensitive to lights so really hate people who run with their brights on, even in the daytime. Lights these days are so bright having high beams on is horrible to us who are sensitive.

I see cops and bus drivers with them on 24/7 though - sigh...

The legal distance in Canada is 600 m or 2000 feet.

4. RNGTransport

RNGTransport Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Allendale, MI
    I do believe that at least in Michigan the legal limit is about 500 feet, thats what I was told when I took Drivers Ed for my regular licence a few years back when I was 16.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I practice:

If you can see the tail lights, no brights.

If you see the head lights, no brights.

6. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    I will second what Roadmedic said

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Same here. Otherwise, light 'em if you got 'em.

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I'll agree with Mack and Roadmedic on this. And I'll also add this. A divided highway divides the lanes, not the vision. If you are coming toward traffic that median strip will do very little to divert your bright lights. Of course if the lanes happen to have a two mile wide median, then that is a different story, but in most cases, if you are meeting traffic, keep the dims on.

And unless there is fog, don't use those #### fog lights, they can be as bad or worse than high beams if they are not set right!

9. truckin916

truckin916 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    Yeah I just use low beams if I can see headlights coming, I never really consider how far they are away. Same with taillights.

10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

That's what it's been on every test I ever took and I was in the military and moved alot. But it's a good practice to go to lower beams when you know for sure the high beams will not blind the driver.

11. Chain Drive

Chain Drive Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Nova Scotia,Canada
    I tend to just use the low beams on the highway, I find if I run the brights it takes too long for my eyes to adjust when I meet a car and dim them

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.