About Tax for 2290 and IL IRP cost?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NewbieTruck, Feb 11, 2021.

1. NewbieTruck

NewbieTruck Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2020
    Hello Guys,
    Can you explain on IRP renewal and 2290 Tax form for IRS? We are New owner operator and we were told to renew our IRP and there has been concerns of our cost can came up to $2000 and TAX form 2290 for $550 in ILlinois to file. We don’t know much. There is company that does this kind of service. So we want to ask you guys if this is correct. Thank you we are from Chicago IL and we drive mostly in Midwest areas. Once in a while to east coast. Please let us know how this works and if you guys can give any advice? That’s would be very helpful. Thank you

NCTru919 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    That seem pretty right mine in pa $2326 & the $550 is the standard federal highway use tax. If you use a company to file your paperwork they are going to charge you a fee. You can file online for the $550 highway use tax its about $30. Your Illinois registration you can go to your local dmv & pay it yourself. Don't forget the ucr fee also.

4. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    2290 is always the same, Your IRP plate will vary, depending on where you run and how many miles. The services fee aren't very much.

5. NCTru919

NCTru919 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2021
    I’m going through this now. I went to dot website here in NC to get my checklist straight. It said I had to file a 2290 but I’ve never used the truck.....???? Told me to go to IRS site and they said even for new companies and said I had to use one of these supported companies to file online. Used the TurboTax and came back as me owing $0. Now what do I do????

6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    July is when the prior July to June tax period is due.

Most of the time one gets a copy of the prior owner's FHUT form and use it to get started.

I know NJ get's around that by issuing new registrations for 11 months [rip you off for 1/12th of the $1200 or so annual fee] and you need to show up next year with your own FHUT receipt to renew.

NCTru919 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.