ABS light on the traioler & DOT

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Aug 1, 2022.

1. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    My current trailer has been to the shop for the ABS light being on. The mechanic says it's fine and it breaks fine. But it has a light on the trailer and the dash warning that the ABS is out.
    Can I get a ticket for this? As I said it feels fine and doesn't lock up, and the shop said run it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Yes a warning ticket. Not OOS. If when you turn the key on, and hear it clicking 4 times, it’s working. If not it’s not working. Turn key on off on off on- then count the flashes on the trailer light. Number of flashes corresponds with location of the problem. If the light only comes on, stays on without blinking, the systems not getting power. If so, be careful, might lock up in rain, or sudden stops. Mechanic is a mechanic in job description only. He should know enough to fix the light, it’s fairly simple. Even for a shade tree like myself.

4. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Unplug the ABS light on the trailer.

86scotty, Boondock, scott180 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    This is also a violation if thr light doesnt flash when turning the key on . most officers check for this as well

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Take it to a shop that can actually tell you what’s wrong, many shops are clueless to how to figure an abs problem.

7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    That’s a for sure ticket if they check. Leave the light hooked up and you might get lucky and the abs system might work.

8. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    I once passed a level one inspection with a trailer ABS light on. This after having taken it to the shop and being told as you were.

I'll bet you have a dirty sensor.

9. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Or a bad wheel bearing. If all mechanical is good, it's not a huge deal. Not sure why ABS repairs are so difficult for some mechanics, especially on trailers. The system is so simple.

10. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    The initial simple check is to make sure your plug has proper power going to it, that it's working correctly. I'm having this problem with my truck, around 60% of the trailers I haul I'm getting a trailer ABS light, yes, a portion of them are junkers, but it's doing it with our privately owned equipment too. Boss checked it and cleaned out corrosion at last PM, when he get's back from vacation I think we're going to put a new end on it.

11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    thats actually a higher violation then the light being on to begin with…

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.