(Abs) Proper way to clean tone ring/tooth wheel?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by HopeOverMope, Jul 27, 2017.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    been tracking down an abs issue for days now... my next step is to take the wheel and drum off and clean the tone ring/tooth wheel real good so the sensor can read right and send its voltage to the computer...

Is there a proper way to do this? Brake cleaner and scrub? Or what?

I did the wabco sensor check by jacking wheel off ground, spinning it while checking for .2 a/c voltage from the sensor but i seemed to get no reading at all, but the weird part is its a brand new sensor with good resistance. So now I'm thinking maybe the tone ring is gunked up to the point where its getting no reading?

Any help is appreciated :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Pressure washer, degreaser, BRASS wire brush, pressure wash again, then you will still wind up replacing the ring.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  4. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    10-4... I heard that

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yep, any type of cleaner. Might have to use a small screwdriver to clean any crud in between the teeth. Also, the air gap should be about 0.020" or so. Spinning it by hand is an excellent test for the sensor, so hat's off to you for knowing about that. With a new sensor and clean tone wheel you should be able to make at least 0.5 volts! Usually it is around 1 full volt ac! So make sure your sensor is close. When you install them, just push them in until they touch the tone wheel. It will move back enough on its own to make that small clearance.

6. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    IMG_1672.JPG IMG_1668.JPG
    Great to know thanks. I bought a better multi meter today and I am getting a little over .5 a/c volts to the sensor. I am getting about the same voltage at the harness where it plugs into the ecu (frame mount wabco)... chased down the wire harness, from sensor to extension to ecu- saw no breaks or short to ground

Code is active for RR axle 2 short to ground or low voltage... i ordered an ecu that should be in tomorrow

Am i missing anything obvious here?

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    ABS systems are extremely sensitive and very picky to any micro shorts to ground. Looks like you have a Wabco system there, but Bendix is very picky. It will log faults even if the resistance is in the MEGA ohms. So make sure you don't have any resistance to ground, should be totally open to ground. Also, I believe Wabco ABS ECU's must be programmed when you install them, they all come blank.

SAR and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  8. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Ive tried different ways already, but How would you test for resistance to ground?

9. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    And, would it be such a bad thing to splice in two new wires if need be? Delphi has a 10 week lead time on making the harness

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    With the harness disconnected at the ECU, you find which pins are for the that sensor and stick a paper clip in the terminal and basically use your digital multi-meter and check on the OHMs setting with one lead connected to the paper clip, and the other lead connected to a good ground. Easy as that. Should be totally open or OL, or whatever your meter displays. We run new wires for sensors all the time. ABS sensors must be a twisted pair to eliminate any radio wave interference. I just take two wire lengths, secure one end in a vise or something, and attach the other ends of the wires into my drill. Hold the wires out straight, and twist them with the drill. You need at least one twist per inch. Then just tape it up so it doesn't unwind and put some nice loom over it. Polarity does not matter when splicing it in.

magoo68, Regen Again?, xsetra and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    For some reason those harnesses are made up in a specific way with a specific wire and unless you follow their splicing instructions, then it will mess with the signal even more. Chances are if you are seeing pulses at the sensor and you still have issue, then it would be the harness.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.